Eager to learn more about Cities: Skylines 2 zones and signatures? In this guide, we’ll be going over the importance of zones when building a city from scratch and how signature buildings will help your town flourish.
When managing your very own city in Cities: Skylines 2, you’ll be faced with solving issues like getting more workers or fixing a sewage backup. But that all comes after you plan out your different zones and put up a couple of signature buildings.
So, let’s see how Cities: Skylines 2 zones and signatures will help your little settlement prosper into a bustling city.
How do zones work in Cities: Skylines 2?
Zones determine where certain districts and buildings will be located within your city. Where and how you build your zones will have lasting effects on your town, so make sure to plan ahead.
You will have four main zone types to focus on while playing Cities: Skylines 2. These zones will rely on each other to function and together will serve as the foundation for the development of your city.
- Residential zone – This is where your citizens will live. Without a residential zone, there will be no people to run your city. Residential zones can be classified further into six different types based on the density of housing.
- Industrial zone – Manufacturing companies and warehouses are what you’ll find in this zone. This is where resources are made into goods that are sold in commercial districts. The Industrial zones also provide employment opportunities for your citizens.
- Commercial zone – This zone is where your city’s inhabitants can go to spend money. They can come here to purchase basic needs like food and groceries. They also have the option to visit places like bars and movie theaters in commercial zones.
- Office zone – The office zone is where most of your intangible goods and services will come from. Here you’ll find establishments like banks, law firms, and insurance companies.
How to use zoning tools
You’ll be able to fill in your city with different zone types by using the zoning tools at your disposal. To make use of these tools, simply select the one you want, choose a zone you wish to establish, and then start clicking away on your map.
The different zoning tool options all have the same basic function, but they differ in ways that will help you customize how your zones are spread throughout your city. Here’s a closer look at each zoning tool available:
- Fill – fills all of the continuous zoning cells with the chosen zone type.
- Marquee – fill a rectangular area of any size with the selected zone type.
- Paint – fill specific cells with the selected zone type.
De-zoning is no longer a separate tool in Cities: Skylines 2, so to de-zone an area simply right-click with your mouse while using any of the zoning tools.
What are signature buildings?
Signature buildings are unique structures with positive effects that each have specific requirements to be unlocked. They are free to build, but you can only have one of each signature building up at a time.
A signature building will have at least one positive effect on top of its normal function after being built. These effects offer several different benefits to your playthrough and some of them can impact entire cities.
When a signature building becomes available, you can place it anywhere on the map. If you happen to find a better location for it later on, you’re free to tear it down and build it again in the new area.