Traveling across the galaxy is a dangerous endeavor so you’re going to need all of the help you can get. In this guide, we’ll be taking a look at the best Starfield crew skills to increase your chances of survival in the endless void of space.
While Starfield doesn’t have any sort of multiplayer mode that lets you have friends join you on your journey, you will have NPC companions to help you along the way. You will also have a crew that assists with taking care of your ship.
Since your ship will play a big part in this interplanetary adventure, you shouldn’t be asking just anybody to come aboard. So, let’s go ahead and find out the best Starfield crew skills to look for in potential crew members.
Best Starfield crew skills
Recruiting a crew member for your ship will give you access to their skills that will benefit everyone on board. Some of the best skills to look out for are piloting, payloads, stealth, and lasers. According to our experience, those are the ones you should pay attention to.
Here’s a more detailed list of the best Starfield crew skills to consider before your next departure into space:
- Energy Weapon Systems – having a crew member with this skill will boost the damage dealt by your ship’s energy weapons. Nice to have when you’re fending off space pirates.
- Botany – with a botanist aboard your ship, you will have a greater chance of receiving plant-based items as gifts. This can help reduce the time it takes to gather these items yourself.
- Theft – you may have doubts about bringing a thief to join your crew, but you will benefit from having them on board. Crew members with this skill will occasionally provide you with credits. Just don’t ask where they got it from.
- Lasers – lasers are great at picking apart enemy ships in a skirmish, so it will do you good to have someone around who knows how to use them properly. Recruiting a laser expert to your crew can make short work of enemy defense barriers.
- Stealth – sometimes, going in guns blazing isn’t the best way to handle a situation. In these cases, you’re going to want someone who specializes in stealth.
- Piloting – there’s going to be a lot of flying around when you explore the galaxy, so an expert pilot will definitely benefit the entire crew. With this skill, your ship’s speed and engine power will be boosted.
- Payloads – this skill will allow you to store more stuff on your ship. Since you’ll be up in space a lot during this game, you’re going to want to carry as many supplies as you can to survive.
So those are the best Starfield crew skills to aim for when recruiting members for your ship. For more on the action RPG in space, feel free to check out the Starfield traits that are available to you or read up on the different factions you can join.