There’s a lot more to creating a character in Dungeons and Dragons than allocating stat points and customizing your appearance. Coming up with a background will anchor your character in the magical world you are about to explore. For this guide, we’ll be focusing on the Baldur’s Gate 3 urchin background by taking a look at its proficiencies and inspiration goals.
Choices matter in Baldur’s Gate 3, but what you may not know yet is that decisions made as early as the character creation process will have an impact on your playthrough. Selecting your background, race, and class can change how certain NPCs will interact with you based on what you choose.
So let’s go ahead and see what the Baldur’s Gate 3 urchin background has to offer if you decide to choose it for your character.
Proficiencies in Baldur’s Gate 3 are things that a certain character is good at. They will give you a bit of a bonus for checks and dice rolls when performing certain actions. Selecting the urchin background will give you Sleight of Hand and Stealth proficiencies.
Having lived out on the streets as part of your background, urchins are great at stealing items, hiding objects, and disarming traps. The success of these actions is determined by your dexterity skill.
With Stealth proficiency, your character will also be great at moving around without being detected. This is an excellent skill to have for slipping past guards and arcane turrets.
Urchin inspiration goals
Fulfilling inspiration goals will earn you points that can be spent to reroll ability checks when needed. They’re different for each background, so urchin goals usually center around stealing objects and protecting fellow urchins.
Here’s a list of inspiration goals for those with a background of growing up out on the streets.
- Artful Dodger – Earn Mattis’ respect by taking his ring.
- Born Innocent – Save the owlbear cub from the goblins.
- Mercenary – Get some coin out of the Zhentarim survivors.
- Protect Your Own – Protect the child who took Barth’s locket.
- Pyramid Scheme – Convince the ogres to work for you without giving them gold.
- Family Comes First – Have Meli tell the truth about the amulet.
- The Allure of Coin – Steal from the child being charmed by harpies.
- Hunger Never Fades – Fill your plate at Raphael’s House of Hope.
- Not On My Watch – Protect Arabella from Kagha and her serpent.
- What Price Dignity? – Steal the toe ring from Crusher without getting caught.
- Slaying the Piper – Save Mirkon from the harpies.
- Idolatry - Help Mol steal the Idol of Silvanus.
And that wraps up our guide on the Baldur’s Gate 3 urchin background. For more help with creating your character in BG3, feel free to check out our guide on the noble background or our class guide and tier list.