If you are getting the error message 'An error occurred' in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, we can help.
From the corrupted save file issue to the game crashing mid-game to awful graphics, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet have not been an enjoyable experience for most fans. And the more you progress in the game, the more errors you're likely to encounter.
One such issue is the 'An error occurred' error. This guide will help you get around this issue and hopefully get you on your way to enjoying the game.
How to fix Pokémon Scarlet and Violet 'An error occurred'
Since the game's release, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet have been criticized for their performance issues and numerous bugs. Nintendo revealed that the fixes are coming "as quickly as possible." We can expect a patch for these problems to be released soon.
In the meantime, here are some tips you can try to fix the Pokémon Scarlet and Violet 'An error occurred' issue.
- Restart the game. Most Pokémon Scarlet and Violet issues can be fixed by restarting the game.
- If you have added any cheats to the game, try deleting them one by one. Each time you delete a cheat, try running the game to see if the issue is resolved.
- Make sure the game is fully updated. You might also want to perform a system update.
- Hold the power button for at least 12 seconds to force the console to power off, then remove any game cards or microSD cards. Power on the console, launch the game and see if it makes any difference.
- Your last resort is to power off the console again, and then format the console without deleting save data.
Hopefully, one of the suggestions will resolve the issue and you will be back in the game hunting Shiny Pokémon. If none of the suggestions works, we recommend you report the issue to The Pokémon Company through this form.
What is Pokémon Scarlet and Violet 'An error occurred'?
Typically, the error message 'An error occurred' in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet pops up when you are attempting to run the game.
The error can happen due to various reasons such as the cheats messing up with the game, coding errors within the game, corrupted game cache/data, random software bugs, etc. In most cases, one of our suggestions will resolve the error.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Gaming page.