Is Overwatch 2 error 6-04 annoying you?
The release of Overwatch 2 has not been without its hiccups. From the login error to missing skins to getting disconnected from the game server randomly, players had to deal with a number of problems.
While some of these issues have been fixed, there are still some bugs that need to be worked out. One such problem is the error 6-04 aka the unable to save highlights error. If you are one of those people who has been experiencing this error, don't panic.
In this article, we will show you how to fix the unable to save highlights error in Overwatch 2.
How to fix Overwatch 2 error 6-04
The Overwatch 2 error 6-04 has been causing trouble for a lot of users lately. Players are unable to save their highlights as they run into this error. Thankfully, there are already some working methods for fixing this issue as the original Overwatch had the exact same error.
Here are the troubleshooting tips to fix the Overwatch 2 error 6-04.
- It appears as Windows ransomware protection is preventing you from creating files in the "Documents" folder. So, add Overwatch 2 to your whitelist by following the steps below.
- Go to Windows Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection and select Manage Ransomware protection.
- If Controlled folder access is turned off, enable it. Then, click Allow an app through Controller folder access.
- Now browse and add Overwatch 2.exe, and you are done.
- When error 6-04 cropped up in the original Overwatch, the QA Analyst Cathy Lee from Blizzard Support suggested trying the following steps in order to fix it. So, if the above tip didn't work, give this one a try.
- Make sure Overwatch is closed.
- Open your Settings_v0.ini file, located in
Documents\Overwatch\Settings(Note, you may need to right-click and select “Open in… > Notepad” to properly edit this file.)
- Find the [MovieExport.1] section. (Note, if this section does not exist, you may type it in manually.)
- Add a line for VideoPath = “” and provide a path. For example: VideoPath =
- Save and close the file.
If the problem still persists, disable your antivirus as it might also have some kind of ransomware protection activated. In case nothing seems to work, we recommend you contact Blizzard Support and report the issue. Hopefully, they will patch this bug as soon as possible.
Read More: Overwatch 2 Watchpoint patch not working error: how to fix
What is Overwatch 2 error 6-04?
Overwatch 2 error 6-04 happens when the game is attempting to save your highlights but fails because Windows is preventing it from doing so.
Windows system folders such as "Documents", "Pictures", "Videos", "Music", and "Favorites" are ransomware protected by default. As a result, third-party applications (Overwatch 2 in this case) that are determined "unfriendly" by Microsoft are not allowed to create or modify files in these protected folders.
In order for the application to save or modify files in the "Documents" folder, you have to let Windows know that you trust this app by manually whitelisting it following the steps mentioned in the above section.
Now that the Overwatch 2 error 6-04 is fixed, have a look at other Overwatch 2 troubleshooting guides such as how to fix overwatch 2 crashing and how to fix Overwatch 2 error code HF-5.