If Funimation keeps buffering, you're probably feeling quite frustrated by the repeated interruptions to your viewing. After all, nobody wants to watch a programme that keeps stopping and starting, freezes and generally doesn't run as expected. Although it isn't ideal, it is not as bad as the Netflix black screen.
Funimation is beloved by anime fans, with thousands of hours of content to choose from. But it isn't easy to enjoy if it keeps buffering. So if this is happening to you, what exactly can you do about it?
We'll run you through the potential fixes that are available, to try to make your viewing experience as smooth as possible.
How To Fix Funimation Keeps Buffering Issues
There are plenty of potential solutions to the buffering issue on Funimation. Work through the following steps and hopefully, at least one of these will resolve the issue for you:
- Restart your router. Doing this will refresh the network connection, and hopefully, improve the situation.
- It's also worth doing some general internet troubleshooting. So try running a speed test. Funimation needs a minimum of 2Mbps for SD, and 5 Mbps for 720p and 1080p. So if you aren't meeting those speeds, you may need to contact your ISP. In addition, try closing other apps or devices that may be competing for bandwidth.
- Update the Funimation app. If there are any pending updates, download and install them, and try relaunching the app.
- Update your device software and browser. As with the Funimation app, check for any pending updates, and install any that are available.
- Try reducing the video resolution. If you are trying to stream content at a higher resolution, then reducing the video resolution might help.
- Clear your browser cookies and cache. Then restart your browser to see if this makes a difference.
- If you are using a VPN, then this requires the information to travel further between your device and the Funimation servers. This could potentially lead to buffering issues. Try disabling the VPN, and see whether this makes a difference. If you aren't using a VPN, then you could try using one, in case there is an issue with your local server.
- Many users will be watching Funimation via a WiFi connection. If possible, try using a wired Ethernet connection, as this will often improve stability.
- If you have a Premium Plus or Premium Ultra account, this gives you the option of downloading content to watch offline. This will resolve the buffering issue as you can watch without being online.
If none of these steps helps, then we'd recommend contacting the Customer Support Team for additional support.
Read More: How To Change Netflix Region On Smart TV
What Causes Buffering Issues On Funimation?
While there are several possible explanations for buffering, as evidenced by the list of potential solutions, there are two main reasons for buffering.
The first of these is that your internet connection is too slow. We've already highlighted the minimum speed requirements (2-5 Mbps depending on the video quality) to run Funimation. If your internet speed is less than this, you will almost inevitably experience buffering issues.
The second most common cause is a problem with the speed at which your router is communicating with your device is too slow. This may suggest that either your router is located in the wrong place to communicate effectively with your device, or it may be time to consider a new router.
Of course, it could also be a software issue, and it's very difficult to diagnose exactly what is going on in each individual case. So try the solutions we've outlined above. These are your best hope of resolving the buffering problem on Funimation.