Before buying one of the best Chromebooks on the market, it’s worth knowing whether you can use Microsoft Office on a Chromebook.
Chromebooks are lightweight laptops designed for younger students who are looking for a cost-effective computing solution. Since a good part of student life involves making PowerPoint presentations and editing documents on Word, it's natural to wonder if you can use Microsoft Office on a Chromebook.
So without further ado, let's find out whether it is possible or not.
Can you use Microsoft Office on a Chromebook?
Microsoft Office apps aren't available to download on Chromebooks. However, you can use Microsoft Office on a Chromebook via the web.
Microsoft had offered its Office suite to Chromebook users via the Google Play store. But in September 2018, Microsoft discontinued the support for Office apps on Chromebook to provide "the most optimized experience for Chromebook customers."
The transition to web experiences brings Chromebook users access to additional and premium features. For example, it provides more Office templates and generally more functionality than what the app-based approach provided.
Read more: Do Chromebooks have Windows?
How to use Microsoft Office on a Chromebook
Although you can't download and install Microsoft Office on a Chromebook, you can install the progressive web app (PWA) version of Office 365 which looks and behaves as if it is a mobile app.
To install the Microsoft Office PWA app on a Chromebook, here is what you need to do:
- Open the browser on your Chromebook and go to www.office.com, which is the landing page for Microsoft Office 365 online.
- If you already have a Microsoft account, just sign in as you normally would. If you don't have an account, you'll need to create one.
- Once you're signed in, an install icon will appear at the top right of the address bar. It looks like a computer monitor with a downward pointing arrow.
- Click on it and you will get a prompt to install Office 365. Click Install.
- Immediately, an Office 365 window will be opened that looks exactly like the online version of Office 365.
With the PWA version, you can use Microsoft office offline on Chromebook. Also, you can do other things like pin it to the taskbar, get notifications, and easily resize it.
Read more: How to fix black screen on Chromebook
Can you use Microsoft word on a Chromebook without the internet?
Yes, you can use Microsoft word on a Chromebook without the internet through the Microsoft Word PWA app.
You can either choose to install the whole Microsoft Office Suite following the steps mentioned in the previous section. Or just install Microsoft Word alone by going here and clicking on the install icon at the top right of the address bar.
Now that everything is sorted, have a look at how to install Steam on Chromebook.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Tech page.