If you are getting the Saints Row unable to start game message, then you may find that actually beginning the game is a harder mission than anything in the game itself.
Fortunately for you, you aren't alone. You have friends. We say friends. We mean us. We won't be sending you a birthday card. But we will be providing you with the answer to this particular Saints Row problem.
How To Fix The Saints Row Unable To Start Game Issue
With Saints Row being a recent release, this error is yet to have a definitive cause identified. As such, it means that there isn't neessarily a definitive fix, either. But here are a few suggestions that seem to have been effective for other players:
- Start by resetting your computer. The classic system restart can often fix a litany of issues.
- Once you've restarted your computer, try relaunching the Epic Games Launcher. If there was an issue with the launcher, then restarting your computer should have closed it down.
- Alternatively try signing out of the Epic Games launcher, and sign back in.
- Repair the game files. On the Epic Launcher, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the game in your Library and click on the three dots or right-click on the game icon.
- Click on Manage.
- Click Verify.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- If you have any USB devices plugged into your computer, disconnect them before launchnig the game. You can plug them back in once the game has launched.
- If possible, install Saints Row on an SSD, and make sure it is on the same drive as your OS, and the Epic Games launcher.
- One fix that seems to be quite effective, but very unusual, is as follows: launch the game, and select the relevant graphics option - DirectX or Vulcan. Then immediately start tapping the Enter key as the loading bar fills up. Continue doing this until the bar is completely full, then wait a while. This may lead to numerous error message windows popping up. But persevere, as the game should load regardless. Then you can just close those windows.
- Alternatively, some users report that launching the game without selecting a graphics option can work. To do this, launch the game, but don't select a graphics option. Wait for the Epic Games launcher to disappear, reopen it, and then choose your graphics option.
- If this doesn't work, you can try uninstalling, then reinstalling the game.
And if nothing on our list of solutions works, then we'd suggest contacting Player Support for further advice.
What Is The Accept Permissions Error On Saints Row?
You'll know it when you see it. A pop-up window will appear bearing the message:
Error. Unable to launch game. Please restart and make sure to accept the permissions for using the game with your Epic account.
As we said earlier, it isn't entirely clear why this is happening. Given that sAints Row is a new game, bugs like this are almost inevitable. But it's a pretty significant bug, because it stops players form launching the game at all.
Hopefully, the developers will quickly identify the underlying issue, and release an update to resolve it. It's always worth checking for updates and installing them as soon as possible, particularly soon after a game has launched. These will often contain patches to fix any major issues that have been identified early on.
But in the meantime, our fixes are your best bet for resolving this issue and actually getting to play Saints Row.