There are a plethora of reasons why you might want to change the email address that’s linked to your Xbox One account.
It could be that your sign-in credentials have found their way into the wrong hands. It could be that you’re doing a bit of a life admin spring clean and want to separate your gaming adventures linked from your house bills. Or it could be that you’ve finally decided to retire that nonsensical Hotmail address you created back in the day.
Changing the email address that you use to sign in to your Xbox is possible, of course. But it’s fair to say that the means of doing so are not immediately obvious.
The email address that you use to sign in to your Xbox console is the one that’s linked to your Microsoft account. This means that changing it is a little more complicated than some of the other account changes that you can make through the Xbox directly.
So, here is everything you need to know to be able to change the email address that’s linked to your Xbox account.
How to change your email on Xbox One
In order to change the email that’s linked to your Xbox/Microsoft account, you’ll need access to a web browser – either on a phone or a computer, or via the Microsoft Edge app on your Xbox One. Here are the steps that you’ll need to follow...
- In your web browser, head to xbox.com and click ‘Sign In’ (use your current login details).
- Once you’re signed in, click on your profile pic in the top right corner and select ‘My Microsoft account’.
- On your account page, click on ‘Your info’ at the top of the page.
- On the ‘Your info’ page, click ‘Manage how you sign into Microsoft’ (the link next to your email address). You’ll have to verify your identity at this stage.
- Under ‘Account aliases’, click on the ‘Add email’ link.
- You can now either create a brand new Outlook email or add an existing email. When you’re done, click ‘Add alias’.
- Back on the ‘Manage sign-in’ page, there should be a ‘Make primary’ option next to your newly added address. Click this to make it the main email associated with your account.
- From here, you can also remove any other email addresses that are associated with your account.
READ MORE: How to connect a new controller to Xbox One
What does this mean for you?
Once you’ve changed the primary email address associated with your account (and deleted any existing email addresses that you want to), you’ll have to sign in to your Xbox One using the new email address.
You can change your email to any existing, valid email address that you use and monitor regularly. This could either be an address with a Microsoft domain (such as outlook.com, live.com or hotmail.com) or from another provider such as iCloud, Gmail or Yahoo.
If you’re changing your sign-in email to a non-Microsoft email address, make sure that you have full access to it. You’ll need to verify the change via a validation link that’s sent to that account. You must complete this process before the change takes effect.
READ MORE: The best Xbox One deals right now!
For more articles like this, take a look at our How To page.