If you've pre-ordered Escape From Tarkov, you will have gained access to the closed Beta that is ongoing. But some players are encountering the slightly unsual Escape From Tarkov Error 208, which is preventing them from accessing the game. This has led to confusion, consternation, and, in some cases, chin-scratching. In an effort to bring an end to this distressing situation, we've put together this helpful little article, to explain exactly what's going on. Here's what you need to know about error 208.
How To Fix Escape From Tarkov Error 208
Error 208 is all about players trying to launch the game from the wrong region. We'll explain more about that further down. But if you are getting this error, it's region-related. Here's what you can do to fix it:
- Check whether you are using a VPN. If your VPN is connecting to a server in a different region to where your purchase is linked, this could cause error 208. If you are using a VPN, try turning it off and see if this reolves the issue.
- Look to see which region your purchase is linked to. If you have accidentally purchased for a region that isn't where you live, don't worry. You can remedy this by upgrading to the EU version via the pre-order page. When you do this, make sure you are logged in so that the upgrade is linked to your account.
The EU Region is the only one which allows you to play the game from anywhere in the world. So if you travel a lot and want to take this with you, that's definitely the region to choose at the ordering stage. Let's look at the regions in a bit more detail.
What Is Error 208?
Error 208 - bad region occurs when you try to launch the game in a region that is different from your purchase region. What does this mean? Well, when you buy the game, it is 'locked' to whichever region you are purchasing from. There are three possible regions:
- EU Region (Europe) - if you purchase in this region, then you can access the game from anywhere in the world.
- CIS Region - people who purchase in this region can only play the game from this region
- Other Region - purchases in this region can only be played outside Europe and the CIS region. It may also be listed as USA.
In essence then, if you purchase the game in a region that's different form where you are trying to play from, it may cause error 208 to appear. So follow the advice we offered you above, and you'll be able to get back into the game, wherever you are. While it may be tricky to Escape From Tarkov, escaping from error 208 is actually pretty simple, once you know how.