Learning how to create a Discord server is a pretty useful skill to have in today’s technologically-driven world. Discord is a thriving platform that serves as a community meeting point for like-minded people, allowing you to engage in discussions, exchange ideas, relay news and find interests. It’s well known for its popularity with gamers, as you can host multiplayer events that can be streamed in real-time, which is a great way of bringing people together.
In this article, we’re going to outline the series of steps for creating your very own Discord server. Because they are free, Discord servers can be set up by anyone with a Discord account. Once you have your server up and running, you’ll be able to create multiple voice and text channels where people can interact with each other.
For more Discord-related tutorials, have a read of our informative article explaining how to set up Discord on a PlayStation 4 console. Alternatively, you can peruse through our post detailing how to install and download Discord on Oculus Quest 2 without a PC.
How to create a Discord server
To launch your free Discord server, complete the following steps:
- Start the Discord app for desktop, smartphone or tablet and then proceed to log in to your Discord account with your email or phone number and password.
- Once you’ve logged into the discord app, you should see a plus symbol on the left menu bar. Click on that symbol to “Add a Server”
- A new window will open, prompting you to join an existing server or create your own. You’ll simply select the ‘Create My Own’ option here
- Next, you’ll need to specify whether the server you’re creating is intended for your friends or for an official community or club. This step is optional, so you can skip it and answer the question later.
- You’ll then be presented with a window where you can customize your server with a name. Once you’ve entered a suitable name, click on the ‘Create’ button in the bottom right corner of the window
Your Discord server will now be up and running, giving you the chance to subsequently invite your friends and begin the conversation.
Should you wish to make any future changes to your newly created server, you can always do this by right-clicking on the profile icon of the server in the top left-hand corner. From there, you can invite other people, mute the server or even adjust notification and privacy settings to your satisfaction.