When you search for something on TikTok, its algorithm takes note of your query thinking that you'll want to see similar content in the future. But that might not always be the case, so you may be looking for a way to delete your TikTok search history.
Deleting your TikTok search history can also be a decent way to free up some space on your device. The amount of space it can free up will depend on how much you use the app.
But whatever your reasons might be, clearing your TikTok search history is a pretty simple process once you've learned how to do it.
How to delete TikTok search history
There are actually a couple of different ways to delete your TikTok search history. They're both pretty simple to do, so go with whichever one you prefer.
Let's get started.
Clear your TikTok search history in Discover
TikTok's Discover section is where you can go to find new videos to watch. It's also where the algorithm likes to keep an eye on your TikTok preferences.
So, it's only natural that you can clear your search history in Discover as well. You can follow these steps to do just that:
- Go to the Discover section.
- Tap on the search bar.
- From there, scroll all the way to the bottom and tap on Clear All.
- Finally, tap on Clear History.
You can also delete searches one by one from here. To do that, click on the X next to each search instead of scrolling to the bottom and tapping Clear All.
Clear your app cache
The second method you can try is clearing your cache along with your search history. Deleting your search history this way will clear up more storage space for your device.
Follow these steps to clear your TikTok cache:
- With your TikTok app open, tap on Me near the bottom of your Home screen.
- Tap on the three dots that appear in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Scroll down and select Clear cache.
Deleting your TikTok search history this way will also get rid of some temporary files. Clearing your cache is actually recommended for a lot of different apps since it can impact how your device performs.
Can you disable TikTok search history?
If you don't want to deal with clearing your search history every once and a while, there's actually a way to turn it off in TikTok. Just like clearing your search history, disabling it is a pretty simple process.
Here's how to disable TikTok search history:
- Open your TikTok profile.
- Tap on the three dots at the top of your screen.
- Go to the Content and Activity section and look for Watch history.
- The Watch history section should have a settings button at the top right corner of your screen. Tap on it.
- Toggle the Watch history button off.
And you're done! You can turn the TikTok watch history back on by repeating this process and toggling the Watch history button back to the On position.
If you're having other issues with TikTok, you might want to check this article out.