Who can still blame us if we are still playing Grand Theft Auto V? The game is as fun as when it was first released, so many years ago! But sometimes there are problems preventing us from playing. Let us take a look at how to fix social club failed to initialize error code 16.
This is one of many errors that might prevent you from starting up GTA V, with other errors such as script hook critical error and errror joining session. Not even GTA V mods can save us from tech problems!
So let's take a look at how to fix social club failed to initialize error.
How to fix social club failed to initialize error code 16
The first thing you might want to do is check if there are installations of other games which have not been completed correctly.
Checking for pending installations
In the Rockstar Launcher, you can check if there are pending installations of games or failed ones. Here's how to check:
- Sign in to the launcher;
- Select Settings and the game you want to update;
- After updating (or if updates have failed), select "Verify game file integrity";
- Wait for the progress bar below to fill before trying to launch your game again.
This should hopefully fix the issue.
Reinstall Rockstar Game Launcher
If the Launcher is having problems installing the games or finishing updates, perhaps there is a problem with its installation. Here's how to fix it:
- Restart your PC;
- Open the Windows Control Panel;
- Under the Programs tab, click Uninstall a Program
- Find both the Rockstar Games Launcher and Social Club and right-click to uninstall them both;
- Go to the file explorer, find and delete the folders:
- C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Rockstar Games\Social Club
- C:\USers\[USERNAME]\Documents\Rockstar Games\Launcher
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Social Club
- C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Social Club
- C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Launcher
- Reinstall the Rockstar Games Launcher by downloading it from the Social Club website.
Whitelist Social Club in your antivirus
If the installation still hasn't solved the problem, you might think about adding the Social Club folder in your Windows Defender/firewall or antivirus exceptions. The folder is located at "Program Files\Rockstar Games\Social Club".
What is the social club failed to initialize error code 16?
This is a generic error which seems to occur whenever Social Club has problems launching with a Rockstar title. Reinstalling the Launcher and Social Club, along with whitelisting the app, should definitely fix the problem.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Guides and Gaming page.