If you are looking to play Ubisoft-exclusive games, you need to install Ubisoft Connect on Steam Deck.
Ubisoft has announced numerous titles at the Ubisoft Forward event including Assassin's Creed Mirage, Star Wars: Outlaws, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and The Crew Motorfest. To play these upcoming Ubisoft-exclusive titles on Valve's handheld console, one crucial element is required: Ubisoft Connect.
In this article, we will guide you through the simple process of installing Ubisoft Connect on your Steam Deck, unlocking a world of captivating gaming experiences that will transport you into Ubisoft's immersive realms.
How to install Ubisoft Connect on Steam Deck
Unfortunately, Ubisoft Connect is primarily designed for Windows and does not have an official version available for Linux. So, you need to use Proton to install Ubisoft Connect, and the steps are a bit laborious
Here are the steps you need to take to install Ubisoft Connect on Steam Deck:
- Switch your Steam Deck to Desktop Mode.
- Open a browser and head over to the Ubisoft Connect official page.
- From there, download the Ubisoft Connect installer.
- While still in Desktop Mode, open your Steam client and go to your Library.
- Click on "Add a game" in the lower left corner and select "Add a Non-Steam game".
- Click the Browse button and locate your Downloads folder.
- Once you're in the Downloads folder, look for the "UbisoftConnectInstaller.exe" file, select it, and then click on Open.
- The file should now appear on the "Add a Game" list, tick its box and click on Add selected programs.
- Go back to your Steam Library and select UbisoftConnectInstaller.exe.
- Click on the cog icon and open up Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab and tick the box that says "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool".
- Choose "Proton Experimental" for the compatibility option.
- Go back to the UbisoftConnectInstaller.exe page in your Steam Library and click on the Play button. This will launch the installer.
- Before you hit Finish, make sure the "Run Ubisoft Connect" box is unticked.
Ubisoft Connect will now be installed, but you're not quite done just yet. You'll need to make some more adjustments to your device to be able to run it.
How to launch Ubisoft Connect on Steam Deck
To launch Ubisoft Connect on your Steam Deck, you need to configure compatibility settings. By configuring compatibility settings, you are essentially making Ubisoft Connect compatible with Steam Deck's SteamOS.
This allows you to overcome the compatibility barriers and launch Ubisoft Connect successfully on your Steam Deck, despite it not being specifically designed for SteamOS.
Here are the steps you need to take to launch Ubisoft Connect on Steam Deck:
- Go to your Steam Library and select UbisoftConnectInstaller.exe.
- Click on the cog icon and select Properties.
- In the Shortcut tab, click on Browse.
- Go to the following path: /
- Look for Ubisoft Connect.lnk in your Steam library.
- Click on Properties and go to the Compatibility section.
- Tick the box that says Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool and select the latest version of Proton.
- Return to the Properties tab and click on Browse
- Go to your Program Files (x86) folder and from there, go to Ubisoft, then Ubisoft Game Launcher.
- Select the UbisoftConnect.lnk file and click Open.
Now that you have Ubisoft Connect installed, access the virtual storefront and purchase the game you wish from there. Once the game is purchased and added to your Ubisoft Connect library, you'll be able to launch and play the game on your Steam Deck.
Keep in mind that you might encounter an "unrecoverable error" or the notorious Dolphin 005 error while using Ubisoft Connect. In case you come across them, visit us as we have working fixes for these pesky errors.