If you are struggling with the companion not following issue in Baldur's Gate 3, this guide is for you!
While the game offers a co-op mode, many players prefer the company of the NPC companions in Baldur's Gate 3. However, things can get frustrating when you encounter the issue of companions not following your character.
So let's how to try and solve the problem with the Baldur's Gate 3 companion not following and get back to our adventures.
How to fix the Baldur's Gate 3 companion not following issue
The companion not following issue in Baldur's Gate 3 revolves around the companions' portraits. If the companions become separated by a significant distance from each other, it may cause their portraits to become disconnected.
This means that the companions' portraits may no longer be visible or accessible to the player until they come within visual range of each other. So make sure that your companions are within visual range of each other.
If the problem persists, here is how you can fix the Baldur's Gate 3 companion not following issue:
- Click on your character's portrait located in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Drag the character's portrait to the furthest left side of the screen.
Position the character's portrait directly next to the portraits of your other companions.
- Make sure there is no space between any of the portraits.
- If there is space between the portraits, it indicates that the characters are not partied up.
- Ensuring that the portraits are close together will ensure that the companions follow you around in the game.
The solution mentioned above has been shared by players on the Steam Community forum and has been reported as an effective method. So it should work for you as well.
An alternate fix
Another solution to the Baldur's Gate 3 companion not following issue is the fast travel trick. The fast travel option allows you to quickly move your character or companions to different locations within the game world.
By individually fast-travelling each companion to the same location, you can ensure that they are all gathered together. Here is how to use the fast travel trick to fix Baldur's Gate 3 companion not following issue:
- Select each companion one at a time and initiate the fast travel feature.
- Once all companions have been individually fast-travelled to the desired location, you can reassemble them as a group.
- To stick them back together, you can use the same method as described in the previous solution: click on each character's portrait and drag them next to each other on the user interface, ensuring there is no space between the portraits.
The above-mentioned fix which involves individually fast traveling companions to the same location and then reassembling them, has also been reported as an effective solution for resolving the companion not following issue in Baldur's Gate 3.
If you prefer to play Baldur's Gate 3 on the go on Valve's handheld console, check out its performance and best settings on Steam Deck.