If you're a fan of Red Dead Online, chances are you may have come across error 0x21002001. It's an error that has caused a lot of frustration for players. Given that it has been around for a few years, it's also slightly surprising that it's an issue that doesn't seem to have been resolved by Rockstar.
In the meantime, while we wait to see if this ever does get resolved, we've put together this handy little guide to tell you what you can do to mitigate this particular problem. With our help, hopefully you'll be back in the saddle and roaming free once more.
How to fix RDR Online Error 0x21002001
As we mentioned above, this is an error which has been around for quite some time, but continues to be a pain for players. There isn't any specific fix which is guaranteed to work, but the following are your best chance of getting back into the game:
- Start off by restarting the game. For many players, this will be sufficient to allow you to get back into Red Dead Online.
- It's also worth checking Rockstar Support on Twitter, for any updates. They'll let you know if there are any server related issues. If there are, you're going to have to wait until those are resolved, before trying again. You can also check the game service status here.
- On the off chance that there is a local server issue, you could consider trying to use a VPN. This will allow you to access a server in a different location, which may circumvent the problem.
- It's also worth checking that there are no problems Wirth your internet connection. So do the usual checks: test other apps and devices. Make sure you don't have lots of different programs jostling for bandwidth. And if you can, try using a wired connection over WiFi.
- If all else fails, it may be worth reaching out to Rockstar Support, for further advice and assistance.
But what exactly is Error 0x21002001? We'll take a look at that very question, next.
What is Error 0x21002001?
This error seems particularly prevalent for players in Red Dead Online. In the midst of a mission, players are being thrown out of their session, and receive only the following message:
You have been disconnected from Red Dead Online because the connection to Rockstar game services was lost.
Players then have very limited options but to start over. In general, this is a problem caused on the server side of the equation. Usually, it will coincide with heavy traffic on the server. So it's probably more likely to happen if you are playing at peak times, or if new content has just dropped.