Looking for Shiny Pokémon in Scarlet and Violet? We'll tell you how to get them.
Obviously, Shiny hunting is no easy feat. The odds of any given Pokémon generated by the game being Shiny is 1 in 4096. Despite these unfavourable odds, shiny hunting remains a popular sport.
Although many players are confused about how to breed Pokémon due to some changes to the breeding mechanism in the latest game, Shiny hunting has never been easier than it is in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
For those of you who have a hard time getting a Shiny Pokémon, here are some methods that can help you to get shinies in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
Best methods to get shiny Pokémon in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
Shiny Pokemon are extremely rare in the wild. By default, the odds of finding a Shiny Pokemon in the game are 1 in 4096. However, there are three different ways to increase your chances.
One, acquire the Shiny Charm by catching every Pokémon in the game. Two, by using the Masuda method. Three, by making or buying Shiny sandwiches. Also, there is an exploit to catch Shinies easily.
How to get the Shiny Charm
Shiny Charm is an item that can effectively double the chances of getting a shiny Pokémon. However, the Shiny Charm requires some work to get. To get the Shiny Charm, you will need to complete the Pokedex by catching all 400 Pokémon.
Once you have collected all 400 Pokémon, visit your professor back at the Academy and he will give you the Shiny Charm as a reward. With the Shiny Charm, those odds are cut in half to 1 in 2048.
Since acquiring the Shiny Charm is a bit of work, the Masuda method is the go-to technique to hunt Shiny Pokémon.
Simply put, the Masuda method is a technique where you breed two compatible Pokémon (the same Egg Group or a Ditto) that originated from countries that speak different languages, in order to increase the odds of getting a Shiny Pokemon Egg.
For example, say you’re Alex from the UK and you have a male Skeledirge. You then trade one of your Pokémon for a female Skeledirge from まゆみ from Japan. If you breed both Skeledirges, then there’s an increased likelihood of them producing an egg containing a Shiny Pokémon.
How to make shiny sandwiches
With the Masuda method, the odds of finding a shiny Pokémon are 6 in 4096. This can be further reduced by making Shiny sandwiches. Similar to sandwiches that speed up the breeding process, Shiny sandwiches boost your chances of getting a shiny Pokémon.
In order to make a Shiny sandwich, you’ll need to get Herba Mystica from the various Tera Raids. Once you’ve got the Herba Mystica, pick which type of shiny Pokemon you’re looking to get, then look below at the recipe requirements.
- Normal: One Chorizo, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Water: One Cucumber, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Fire: One Basil, one Sweet Herba Mystica, one Salty Herba Mystica
- Flying: One Prosciutto, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Grass: One Lettuce, one Salty Herba Mystica, one Sour Herba Mystica
- Electric: One Yellow Bell Pepper, one Salty Herba Mystica, one Spicy Herba Mystica
- Fighting: One Pickles, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Poison: One Noodles, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Rock: One Jalapeno, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Ground: One Ham, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Psychic: One White Onion, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Ice: One Klawf Stick, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Ghost: One Red Onion, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Bug: One Cherry Tomatoes, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Steel: One Hamburger, one Sweet Herba Mystica, one Salty Herba Mystica
- Dark: One Smoked Fillet, one Sweet Herba Mystica, one Salty Herba Mystica
- Dragon: One Avocado, two Salty Herba Mystica
- Fairy: One Tomatoes, two Salty Herba Mystica
Almost all materials except Herba Mystica can be found across the Aquiesta Supermarket, Sure Cans, and Deli Cioso. Once you have all the ingredients, set up a picnic with your foreign Pokémon and its compatible mate, and prepare the Shiny sandwich.
If you get lucky, one of the eggs will contain a shiny Pokémon.
Shiny picnic reset method
YouTuber PhillyBeatzU discovered an exploit that makes it incredibly easy to catch one in under an hour. It essentially involves spawning in a huge number of Pokemon to increase the chances of finding a shiny one.
Follow the steps below to get shiny Pokémon using the shiny picnic reset method. Before you start, make sure to have a Pokemon that knows False Swipe first, so you can easily catch any shinies encountered.
So, here is the easiest way to find a Shiny Pokémon in Scarlet and Violet:
- First, open your map and select any mass outbreak area you can find. Look for a blinking red symbol.
- Once you get to an outbreak, you’ll need to fight at least 60 Pokémon. Send out your strongest Pokémon and knock them out.
- After beating more than 60, your shiny spawn rate will boost up to 1 in 1365, according to PhillyBeatzU.
- Next, find a spot within the outbreak to set up a picnic, and then pack it back up. Each time you pack up your picnic, run around the outbreak area and check for a Shiny.
- Repeat the previous step (setting up a picnic, packing it up, and then looking around) until you find a Shiny Pokémon.
It's highly likely that this exploit will be patched out soon. Nintendo recently said that Pokémon Scarlet and Violet fixes are coming "as quickly as possible," so make the best out of the hack when you can.
So, there you have it, the best methods to get Shiny Pokémon in Scarlet and Violet. Before you leave, check out how to fix the corrupted save issue and connection failed error in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Gaming page.