The latest Call of Duty release means that we return once again to the age-old question over Modern Warfare 2 keyboard and mouse compatibility. Specifically, can you use KBM on a console? And then the follow-up question, why would you want to?
We'll answer both of these questions so you can decide for yourself what your preferred set-up is. And if you haven't already done so, may we suggest you make sure you have the best controller settings for Modern Warfare 2? Then you can decide for yourself if you need to even consider KBM as an alternative.
How To Use KBM on Modern Warfare 2 On PS5 and Xbox
The good news is that yes, it is possible to use KBM on your PS5 or Xbox. And it doesn't require any complicated setup changes, or having to force it, which can lead to an unsatisfactory experience. Here's how you do it:
- Use the USB ports on your PS5 or Xbox to connect your keyboard and mouse to the console. You can connect to either the front or rear ports. Alternatively, you can use a USB hub and connect it to one port, if you want to keep some of your ports free.
- Once the keyboard and mouse are connected, you'll see an icon appear on your Home Screen to let you know. You can't use them on your Home Screen as easily as your controller though.
- Next, load up Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
- After the game has loaded, navigate to settings > controller > input device.
- From here, you can choose which input device you want to use, and set it to KBM. You have further options on the tabs at the top, to customise your controller settings.
As you can see, it's a very straightforward process, and will allow you to use your keyboard and mouse to play Modern Warfare 2. But why go to the trouble when you have a perfectly good controller to use?
- Read More: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 PS4 vs PS5: Differences, Graphics, Gameplay, Price and More
Why Use Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Keyboard And Mouse Controls?
There are players who prefer using a controller, and there are players who prefer using KBM. KBM tends to have a faster input and greater accuracy than a controller.
This isn't especially important if you're playing the campaign mode, but in online matches, KBM players can often enjoy significant advantages over their controller-wielding opponents. Especially with long-range weaponry.
We know that crossplay is going to exist across all platforms for Modern Warfare 2. What is less clear though, is whether or not lobbies will be restricted via input method or not. Many controller users will prefer to avoid KBM players, because of the perceived disadvantages of paying with a joypad.
But at least you have the choice, so now you can choose which input method you prefer, and adjust your setup accordingly.