Don't let FIFA 22 lag stop you from enjoying the latest iteration of the game.
As the first version of the game fully optimised for the new generation of consoles, FIFA 22 comes with a raft of new features. But, like many games, it has many bugs, too. Whether it's the FIFA 22 SBC error, the FIFA DirectX error, or this problem with lag, these are not intended features by EA Sports.
So if any of these lag or stuttering issues are affecting your enjoyment of the game, here's how to fix them and get back into playing FIFA.
How To Fix FIFA 22 Lag
If you are suffering from FIFA 22 lag, then some of the main causes relate to your internet connection. Here are some things to try for smoother gameplay.
- Use a wired internet connection. Ethernet cables that go direct from your router to console will create a more stable internet connection that could see these lag spikes reduced.
- Move your console closer to the Wi-Fi router for an improved connection.
- Check the EA servers. Sometimes, if a new updates has just rolled out, or FIFA connection errors are a plenty, it might be that the lag issue comes from EA's end. In this case, there's little you can do aside from wait.
Read More: FIFA vs PES Sales: Which has sold more?
How To Fix FIFA 22 Lag On PC
The absolute first step to take to fix FIFA 22 Lag on PC is to make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the game. If your system isn't equipped to cope with the demands of the game, then you are always likely to struggle with performance issues. But assuming your hardware does meet these specs, here's what to try:
- It's important to make sure that your graphics drivers are fully up to date. You can quickly check for any updates - if you have an Intel-based system, go here. If you are on AMD, go here, and for NVIDIA, go here.
- It's also worth making sure your system software is fully up to date.
- Once everything is fully updated, if you are still experiencing issues, you can try to cap the FPS at 60, and see if this makes a difference. You can do this by accessing your graphics card control panel.
- Also, take a look at Vsync. In theory, Vsync is designed to synchronise your monitor's refresh rate with the frame rate of the game. But in certain circumstances, this can actually cause issues with stuttering. So if your Vsync is switched on, try turning it off, and vice versa if it's currently switched off. See if this then makes a difference.
- As with Vsync, full-screen mode tends to be more resource intense, but can sometimes work to improve performance. So play with fullscreen vs windowed settings, and see if things improve.
- Game mode on Windows is another setting that can go both ways. So play with having this on and off, and see which settings work best on your system.
These are some of the main steps you can take to resolve FIFA 22 lag issues. But we aren't stopping there, because there are some additional tips to try, if you've attempted all of the above., and are still having issues.
Other FIFA 22 Lag Fixes on PC
As well as trying the recommendations outlined above, there are a few more things you can explore, to see if they help with lag, stuttering and FPS drops on FIFA 22:
- Sometimes, these issues could be caused by a damaged or corrupted game file. You can repair the game files as follows:
- Restart your computer and launch Steam.
- Next, you can either right-click the game in your Library, or click the gear icon from the game's Library page on the far right.
- From the drop-down menu, select Properties.
- Select the Local Files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files button.
- The process will take a few minutes.
- If your computer has an SSD and an HDD, consider installing FIFA 22 on the SSD, as these are faster than HDDs.
- Close any apps or background processes that you don't need, as these will divert resources from your game.
- In addition, you can give FIFA 22 High Priority, which means more of the processing power will be devoted to it. To do this:
- Start Task Manager (Right Click on the Start Bar and select Task Manager).
- Click on the Processes tab.
- Right Click on FIFA 22 and choose Set Priority.
- You can then give the game High Priority.
- Close Task Manager.
If you've made it this far, hopefully you have reached a place of serenity, where FIFA 22 lag is now a thing of the past. If you still find yourself having issues, we recommend reaching out to EA Help for further assistance. They will do their best to provide additional advice, should you need it.