Error Code 887a0005 has been making its presence felt in Black Ops Cold War, leaving gamers unable to access the game. While error codes in any vastly popular online game are almost inevitable, they are still the cause of much consternation for the unfortunate players that are hit by them.
With the recent launch of Season 5 Reloaded, it increases the number of players who might be susceptible to this issue. Today, we'll be taking a closer look at Error Code 887a0005, in an effort to help you understand what the problem is, and what your options are to fix it.
How to Fix Fatal Error 887a0005 in Call of Duty
Thankfully, this is one error which is described by Activision as "known error". So this means they are aware, and actively investigating the cause of the problem. There are also some suggested fixes that are worth trying:
- The solution recommended by Activision at this stage, is to make sure your PC drivers are fully up to date.
- In addition, close down any background applications while playing.
- It's also a good idea to scan and repair any game files, in case anything has become corrupted. To do this:
- Open Battle.net and select Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War from the menu on the left.
- Then click Options, and select Scan and Repair.
- Wait for the process to complete, and try relaunching the game.
- Make sure that Windows has been fully updated.
- According to some players, disabling something called HAGs has led to a reduction in crashing for them. Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling was introduced back in 2004, and is designed to improve the performance of applications. It is only available for specific graphics cards, but if you do want to try disabling it to see if it improves matters:
- Settings > System > Display > scroll down to Graphics Settings > Turn "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" to Off
- And finally, there are suggestions that this error is happening as a result of an overloaded GPU. Disabling Ray Tracing in game is one way of reducing the work of the GPU. To do this:
- Launch the game and open Settings
- Click on the Graphics tab
- Under Ray Tracing, disable all three options
- Once you've done this, save the changes, and relaunch the game to see if it makes a difference
What is Error Code 887a0005?
As we indicated earlier, Error Code 887a0005 has been stopping players from playing Black Ops Cold War. It causes the game to crash regularly, and seems to be most prevalent in zombie mode. It does appear to be specific to PC users, but it is quite a widespread issue for PC gamers.
Activision have asked PC players who are effected by this error to let them know about any crashes by completing a bug report form. This will help them complete an investigation and provide a fix for the problem. In the meantime, work through the recommended fixes above, and hopefully crashes won't be ruining your gaming for much longer.