You may be wondering how to turn on TikTok dark mode for Android for your viewing pleasure. Well, it's easy.
The dark mode feature is handy when auto-scrolling through TikTok in a dimly lit place. Although the TikTok app has an in-app feature to turn on dark mode, it is exclusive to iPhones - like Snapchat dark mode.
However, a few workarounds will enable dark mode on your Android device. And in this guide, we will show you how to do that. So, let's get started!
How To Turn On Dark Mode On TikTok For Android
On your Android device, you can turn on dark mode on TikTok by just enabling the dark theme for your system UI. To do that:
- Open your device's Settings app.
- Select Accessibility.
- Under Display, turn on Dark theme.
- Finally, toggle on the override/force dark mode option in the Developer options.
Consequently, the dark theme will be applied to the Android system UI and supported apps - including TikTok. Your app will have a dark background with light text. However, colours don't change in media, such as videos.
How To Turn On Dark Mode On TikTok For Samsung
If you are using a Samsung phone, you can force TikTok to use Dark Mode even if the app does not fully support it. Here is how to get TikTok dark mode on Samsung:
- Open your Settings menu.
- Scroll to About phone and tap it.
- Scroll down until you find your Build number.
- Tap the Build number seven times to enable Developer Mode.
- Once that is done, a text will appear that says you are now a developer
- Go back to the main Settings menu and select Developer options.
- Under the Hardware accelerated rendering section, toggle on Force Dark Mode.
Once done, you might need to restart your phone for the changes to appear. Afterwards, open the TikTok app and enjoy the latest TikTok trends and funny TikTok Duets in dark mode on your Samsung mobile.
If you have a rooted phone
Rooted Android phone owners have full control of Android subsystems, and they can use this power to force dark mode on TikTok. You won't get the same experience as you would on iOS, but it is the best you could get.
So, here's how to turn on TikTok dark mode on rooted Android devices:
- Download the Preferences Manager app from the Play Store.
- Select TikTok on the app’s home page and open the APP_START_EXPERIMENT_PREFS.xml file
- In the file, locate the DARK_MODE flag, set it to ENABLED and you are ready to start using dark mode on your Android version of TikTok.
As we said before, it won't be perfect, and probably, in most cases, it will be better for you to wait until the official release.
Does TikTok Have Dark Mode For Android?
At the time of writing, dark mode for TikTok on Android remains officially unreleased. It still remains an iPhone-exclusive feature.
There have been rumours that developers are working on the dark mode feature for Android. If that's true, we can expect it to be rolled out soon.
So keep your eyes peeled for it. We will update this post as soon as we get any news about the feature. And don't forget to install new updates to the app as soon as possible, as it might include the dark mode feature.