Need some insight on the new Snapchat parental controls? Here is everything you need to know.
Snapchat has continued to release new features in 2022. In late June, they rolled out Snapchat Plus, a premium subscription plan that offers users access to a collection of exclusive, experimental, and pre-release features. In the next month, they introduced Snapchat web which allows you to use Snapchat on your PC.
Family Center is the latest addition to the app which offers parents and caregivers additional ways to help keep their teens safe. Let's learn more about the new feature and how to enable parental controls on Snapchat.
Snapchat Parental Controls
The newest feature of Snapchat, an in-app tool called Family Center, helps parents get more insight into who their teens are friends with on Snapchat, and who they have been communicating with in the last seven days. However, messages and Snap content cannot be seen by the parents.
Features of Family Center:
- View your teen's friends.
- See who they are talking to.
- Report accounts that you may be concerned about.
Over the coming months, additional features will be introduced to Family Center including new content controls for parents and the ability for teens to notify their parents when they report an account or a piece of content to the Snapchat trust and safety team.
Read More: Snapchat Temporarily Disabled: What To Do If Access To Snapchat Is Temporarily Disabled
How To Enable Parental Controls On Snapchat
Parents, guardians or trusted relatives aged 25+ can invite their teens to join Family Center. It is worth mentioning that only teens between the ages of 13-18 are able to join. Here is how to access Family Center and enable parental controls.
- Go to your profile page and tap the gear icon located in the top-right corner.
- Under the Privacy Controls header, you will see Family Center.
- Tap Continue and set up Family Center and invite your teen to join. Note that to send an invitation, you must be friends with the teen on Snapchat. You can send invitations by selecting profiles from a pre-populated list or by searching for specific Snapchatters.
An invitation will be sent to the teen via direct chat. Once they have accepted the invitation, you will be able to keep tabs on them via Family Center. Teens will have a mirrored view of what their parents see in the Family Center.
If you'd like to maintain more privacy, learn how to make your Snapchat account private.