Looking for ways to see deleted messages on Discord? Here's a look at what your options are.
If you are an admin or a server owner on Discord, there comes instances where you want to be able to see deleted messages. For example, you may want to check if the deleted messages contained offensive, abusive or vulgar comments.
How To See Deleted Messages On Discord
As deleted messages are instantly wiped out from the Discord server, there is no official way to see deleted messages. However, you can use third-party apps, bots or plugins for this purpose.
If you are looking for a way to see deleted messages on Discord, you can use message logger plugins. These are useful tools that allow you to easily log messages. Since Discord doesn't support these kinds of plugins, you first need to install the application called BetterDiscord.
Download and install BetterDiscord
The first step is to download BetterDiscord. It is an application that extends the functionality of the Discord app by enhancing it with new features. BetterDiscord comes with a built-in plugin loader and plugin API which facilitate installing the message recovery plugin. To install:
- Open the installer (downloaded file).
- Agree to the license.
- Select Install BetterDiscord from the list of options.
- Choose your current discord build.
- Click the Install button, and discord should restart with BetterDiscord installed.
Download and add the MessageLoggerV2 plugin to BetterDiscord
Now, download the MessageLoggerV2 plugin. This plugin saves all deleted and purged messages, as well as all edit history and ghost pings. With highly configurable ignore options, and even restoring deleted messages after restarting Discord. To add the plugin:
- Open Discord.
- Click the gear icon to open your discord User Settings. Near the very bottom, there should be a Plugins tab under the BetterDiscord header. Click it.
- At the top of the plugins page, click the Open plugins folder button.
- Drag the MessageLoggerV2 file into the plugins folder that opened.
- Enable the MessageLoggerV2 plugin.
Open the log to see deleted Discord messages
You are all set! From now on, you will have a log of deleted, purged and edited messages as well as ghost pings. To access the log:
- Right-click on the server you wish to check
- Select Message Logger
- A log window will appear. To view specific logs, click Open Logs and pick a tab (Deleted, Edited, Purged and Ghost Pings).
It is worth mentioning that you will not be able to see the historical logs. That means you will only have the logs from the point you install and enable the MessageLoggerV2 plugin.
How To See Deleted Messages On Discord Using Dyno Bot
An alternative way to see deleted Discord messages is to use the Dyno bot. It is a fully customisable server moderation Discord bot. Dyno bot offers a lot of functions including moderation, auto-roles, music playing, anti-spam, reaction roles, auto-mod, starboard, web configuration, and more.
Using the Dyno bot, you can view deleted messages on Discord as well. To set up the Dyno bot, follow the steps below.
- Head over to the official Dyno Bot website.
- Click on the Login with Discord button and enter your Discord credentials.
- You’ll be directed to a Manage Servers webpage. Select the server where you wish to add the bot to.
- Once you successfully complete the captcha, the bot will be added.
- Now, from the left sidebar, select Modules.
- Enable the Action Log module and then click on Settings.
- Set a channel where you want the bot to post notifications (#general recommended).
- Under the Events tab, check the one that says Message Deleted.
- Make sure Dyno has these permissions in your Action Log channel: Manage Webhooks, View Channel, and Send Messages.
Job done! From now on, if a user deletes any messages, the Dyno bot will send a message containing the name of the member who sent the message as well as the content of the deleted message. The Dyno bot, though, will not log who deleted the message.
It is worth mentioning that Dyno only caches the last 10 messages per channel. This means that if you delete a message in a channel that is 11 messages up or above, Dyno will not post a message deletion log. However, premium Dyno will cache the last 100 messages per channel.
Moreover, if the message contains a file or embed, Dyno will not log the file or embed content, which may result in the message deletion log showing no content for the message.