Snapchat requires no introduction. Recently, the social media titan has introduced dark mode to its app, giving users more choice over how the app looks and feels. With this latest addition, users might be wondering exactly what this is, what it does, and how they can use it. We'll explain everything you need to know in this article.
What is Snapchat Dark Mode?
Dark mode is a feature that has been around for quite a long time now. Its primary function is to apply a darker background to apps, as opposed to the usual white background that you typically see. This is believed by some to be better for your eyes, especially at night, or if you are using your device in a poorly lit environment. Some people just think it looks nicer.
So while Snapchat has taken a while to hitch itself to this particular bandwagon, it is now finally catching up. Whether you want to set it up on an Android or iOS device, here's how you do it.
How to get Snapchat Dark Mode on iOS
To get dark mode working on Snapchat if you are using iOS:
- Start by going to your profile on the Snapchat app
- From here, go to App appearance
- You will have three options to choose from: Always dark, Always light, or Match iOS. As the names suggest, Always dark will keep it permanently in dark mode. Always light does the opposite, while Match iOS will make Snapchat mirror whatever mode your phone is set to.
- Select your preferred option
How to get Snapchat Dark Mode on Android
At the time of writing, dark mode for Snapchat on Android remains officially unreleased. Testing is ongoing, and it is believed to be coming soon. There is a way to acquire access to it, but as it remains a work in progress, you won't get the same experience as you would on iOS. Additonally, you would need to use a rooted device, which to some people will be way more hassle than it's worth. Rooting your device means the user has control of Android subsystems, which most users would be well advised to steer clear of interfering with. Nevertheless, if you feel so inclined, here's how you do it:
- Download the Preferences Manager app from the Play Store.
- Select Snapchat on the app’s home page and open the APP_START_EXPERIMENT_PREFS.xml file
- In the file, locate the DARK_MODE flag, set it to ENABLED and you are ready to start using dark mode on your Android version of Snapchat.
As we said before, it won't be perfect, and probably, in most cases, it will be better for you to wait until the official release.