Tired of using the light mode on your Chromebook? We've got everything you need to know about how to enable dark mode on Chromebook.
Google finally rolled out the built-in dark mode feature in the latest version of the Chrome OS. Now, you don’t need to look further for third-party apps to enable dark mode. Dark mode plays a very important role especially when you are working in low-light conditions, minimising screen intensity without causing eyestrain.
Wondering, what does Google Chromebook do? The dark mode turns the white backgrounds into black, giving a great dark aesthetic look to your Chromebook.
How to enable Dark Mode on a Chromebook
Here’s how can you enable or disable a dark mode on a Chromebook. We listed the three easiest ways to turn on dark mode. Let’s get started.
Enable Dark mode from Quick Settings
The first and one of the easiest methods to enable dark mode on Chromebook is through quick settings just follow these simple steps.
- First, tap on the time at the bottom right of the home screen of a Chromebook.
- This will open the quick settings panel then click on the show display settings arrow located just right of the Night light icon.
- Once the display settings open, you’ll get to see a Dark theme icon.
- Tap on the Dark Theme icon to turn on dark mode on your Chromebook.
- You can also turn off dark mode while clicking on the same title.
Enable Dark mode from the Home Screen
Another easy way to turn on the dark mode on Chromebook is through the home screen. It's very easy, just follow these simple steps.
- Right-click anywhere on the home screen of your Chromebook
- This will open a menu with three different options, click on the set wallpaper and style option from the menu.
- A small window pop-up on your home screen where you’ll see a theme option in the wallpaper section.
- Click on the dark button to turn on the dark mode. If you want to switch to light mode then simply click on the light button.
There is also an Auto button option that automatically switches to dark mode at sunset and light mode at dawn depending on your geographical location.
Alternatively, you can also reach the set wallpapers and style option via Chrome settings > Personalization > set wallpaper and style to turn on dark mode.
Enable dark mode for Web content
Not every website or content supports the dark mode on the web but there is an option to switch to force dark mode that automatically turns on dark mode for every website and content you browse on the web. However, keep in mind that it's an experimental feature, and once you enable it, it will turn every website and content into dark mode. But there’s a catch, it will override the basic dark mode settings and it won’t be turned off until you revisit the Chrome Experiments window and change Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents setting back to default.
Follow these simple steps to enable force dark mode for web content on a Chromebook.
- Launch the Chrome browser.
- Enter Chrome://flags on the search bar.
- This will open an experiments window then search the Dark in the search box of the experiments window.
- You’ll get to see an Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents option under the Available tab which will be primarily set to default.
- Tap on the down arrow next to default and select the Enabled option to turn on dark mode for all web contents.
- Restart your computer/ relaunch Chrome to apply the setting.
The Chrome OS also offers a Night Light option in the quick settings panel that turns the display into a warm colour and also reduces blue light levels.