Using the Midjourney AI to create photos and images for us is a great way to get the creative juices flowing, but you also need to be able to give it good prompts, depending on what you are looking for. Let's look at some of the best Midjourney prompts for realism and characters.
Overall, the AI is great at creating images even from short prompts, but the more details you add the better. Once you know how to use it, then it's a matter of getting it to create what you are looking for and dealing, perhaps, with some errors here and there.
Let's look in more detail at what possible Midjourney prompts you can use for realism and characters.
Best Midjourney prompts for realism and characters
With the launch of Midjourney V5, there is no need anymore to stuff prompts with descriptions and references, you can just use natural English to describe what you are looking for. The better you describe it, the more the AI can create something detailed.
Here are a few prompts that you can use for realism and characters:
- A warrior from feudal Japan who is trained in martial arts and bushido, the code of conduct for the samurai standing on a mountain at sunset. Use a Canon EOS R5 camera with a 100mm lens at F 1.2 aperture setting to blur the background and isolate the subject. The sunset should be visible in the background, with warm, golden light falling on the man’s face.
- Capture the beauty of a classic English castle in the countryside. Use a Hasselblad camera with a 100mm lens and F 1.2 aperture setting to create a shallow depth of field and blur the background. The castle should be surrounded by lush gardens and trees, with the sun setting in the distance to create a warm, golden light.
- Create a photorealistic image of a vintage big motorcycle parked on a road in the desert at dusk. Use a Nikon D850 DSLR 4k camera with a 200mm lens and F 1.2 aperture setting to isolate the motorcycle from the background and create a dreamlike atmosphere. The background should be an orange desert with cactus and the sky should have a warm, orange glow for a more dramatic effect.
- A character with extraordinary powers or abilities who uses them to fight for justice and protect others flying away from the viewer of the image. Use a Sony α7 III camera with a 100mm lens at F 1.2 aperture setting to blur the background and isolate the subject. The sky should have dramatic lighting to create a dynamic and engaging atmosphere. Use a Rembrandt lighting effect to highlight the character's face and body.
- Create a realistic image of a mythical creature that is half-human and half-fish swimming in the ocean. Use a Nikon D850 DSLR camera with an 85mm lens at F 1.2 aperture setting to blur the background and isolate the subject. The ocean should be blue and have reflections of the light of the sun from above, filtering through the waves.
- A dynamic portrait of a character from Japanese folklore who is trained in martial arts and espionage running away from the viewer in a classic Japanese setting.
- A realistic image of a winter landscape, complete with snow-covered firs, a frozen lake, and a cabin in the distance with smoke coming out of the chimney. Shot during the golden hour with warm colour saturation.
- A realistic and dynamic image of a city street at night, busy with car traffic, neon lights and crowds of people. Shot from a high angle to capture the sense of energy and excitement.
- A photorealistic image of a hiker wearing mountain gear, walking through a small rickety mountainous path, with snow-capped peaks in the distance and a backpack slung over their shoulder. Shot from a wide angle to capture the sense of adventure and exploration.
- A realistic and vibrant image of a classic 80s sports car speeding down a scenic coastal road. The sunset is behind the car with the ocean shining on the horizon.
- A photorealistic image of a family gathered together for a holiday, sitting around a tree waiting to open their presents. There are colourful decorations all around and a sense of excitement between them as they are about to open the presents and celebrate. Shot from a high angle to capture the sense of togetherness and celebration.
These are just a few examples, but you can definitely play around with the elements.
How to create a good Midjourney prompt
As mentioned, with the advent of Midjourney v5 you can take advantage of just writing in plain English, as to give the AI as much detail as possible to set up the image the way you want it.
Describe the character in detail or the landscape, and give it emotional adjectives to describe the lightning or the warmth of the image.
Consider also the way the characters in the image are possibly related to one another, what are they doing, their objectives and also their backstories. The more elements you give to Midjourney, without going overboard of course, the more it can attempt to replicate it in a faithful and realistic way.