It's annoying when your Xbox Series X won't turn on. As lovely as you might feel the Xbox Series X is to look at, you didn't buy it for it's aesthetic charm. You bought it because you want to play games on it. And that's the goal which we'll help you achieve today. If your Xbox Series X isn't powering up, we'll run you through the steps you can take to troubleshoot this. We'll also give you an insight into why this might have happened in the first place.
How to fix Xbox Series X not powering up
Microsoft offer some clear guidance if your Xbox Series X won't turn on:
Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One X, and Xbox One S have an internal power supply that works in all regions world-wide. If your console won't turn on, it may simply need a power reset. Often, power issues are due to the power supply resetting after a power surge.To reset the internal power supply, follow these steps:
- Unplug the mains lead from the console.
- Hold the power button for 10 seconds to expunge all remaining power
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Plug the cord back into the console, and then press the Xbox button on the front of the console.
If the console turns on, the internal power reset worked. Do this step if the problem happens again. If the console still doesn't turn on, try the following:
- Check that the wall outlet you’re using is working with other devices.
- Check that the power cable is firmly connected to the wall outlet and to your console.
- Ensure that you're using the power cable which came with your console, and that it's the correct cable for your region.
- If your console still will not turn on, it will need serviced. To request service, sign in to Device service and repair with your Microsoft account and submit a service order.
Your Xbox may be covered by the manufacturers warranty.
In addition to the advice from Microsoft, some users have reported that trying to turn the console on by pressing the guide button on a synced controller has allowed them to turn on their Xbox. If this applies to you, then it may indicate an issue with the power button on the console itself. In which case, contact Microsoft to get your console repaired.
Why does my Xbox Series X not turn on?
There are several reasons why your Xbox Series X might not be switching on. Oftentimes, problems are linked to an issue external to the Xbox. This could be the cable you are using, or the power outlet you have plugged into, especially on an extension brick.
There can also sometimes be issues with the hardware of the console itself. Problems with the power connection, the power button, or some of the internal components can also cause this issue. And finally, there can be problems with software and firmware, often caused by a corrupted file or or a software update failing to download properly.
Whatever the cause of your issue, try the steps outlined above. And if these aren't successful, it's time to contact Microsoft for further help and support.