Getting a 502 Bad Gateway Error in Splitgate is, perhaps, to be expected. After all, glitches and bugs are part-and-parcel of the Beta testing experience. It remains annoying though, if it does happen to you. So today, in an effort to let players experience more of the game, and less of the pain, we'll run you through what a 502 bad gateway error actually is, and what you might be able to do about it.
In the somehow improbable scenario that you stumbled onto this article despite never having heard of Splitgate, it is a new FPS, with a bit of a twist. "Portal mechanics" mean that players can move around in unexpected ways, making for an interesting new experience for fans of the genre. Provided you can get past the Bad Gateway, that is.
How to fix 502 Bad Gateway Error in Splitgate
There are a number of steps you can take in an effort to overcome a 502 Bad Gateway error:
- Start by refreshing your browser. You can do this immediately, then try again a few minutes alter, in case there was a temporary glitch. If this doesn't work, try closing your browser window, then open a new one.
- You can also clear your browser cache. If there was an outdated or corrupted file, this may be causing a problem.
- Disable your antivirus and firewall, or make sure that Splitgate is on the "safe" list, so that it isn't being blocked.
- Check that there isn't an issue with the Splitgate servers. You can find out the service status here. If there is a server issue, the chances are you will need to wait until that is resolved before you can start playing.
- If a server issue is localised, then consider trying a VPN to access the game. This may then link you to a different server that isn't experiencing the same problems.
- You can also consider restarting your router, on the off-chance that there was an issue with your internet connection.
While we have suggested a few possible solutions for this error, it is worth understanding exactly what this error is, and what might cause it. That's what we'll cover next.
What is a 502 Bad Gateway Error?
A 502 Bad Gateway error is by no means specific to Splitgate. Typically, a 502 error indicates an issue that has nothing to do with your internet connection, and is more often than not, an issue at the server end of the connection. the most common reasons for this error include:
- An overloaded server (which might be expected during a beta testing period)
- Overzealous firewalls blocking access
- Faulty programming in the game code
- Errors on the network
- Server timeouts
With this problem often being triggered at the other end, the fixes we mentioned above aren't guaranteed to work. But we do know that they can be effective in a general sense against a 502 error. So this makes them well worth trying, while the game developers try to improve the game.