If you enjoy the benefits of a robot slave to do your housework, it will be irritating to find they've downed tools as a result of Roomba error 11. And if you've never had to deal with it before, you probably don't know what to do.
So rather than sweeping things under the carpet, we've put together a guide to help you figure out what your particular problem might be, and what you can then do about it.
How To Fix Roomba Error 11
As we mentioned above, what error 11 actually means can vary depending on which model of robot vacuum you are using. We'll explain both possibilities, and then you can choose whichever solution applies to your robot.
Roomba Error 11 Charging Issue
For owners of Roomba i or j series models, Roomba error 11 will usually indicate a charging issue, where the battery and robot are not communicating properly. This could then lead to the battery running out unexpectedly, if the robot is unable to identify how much charge it has, for example. In order to resolve this:
- Make sure your robot is fully up to date with the latest software. Connect it to your WiFi and complete an over-the-air update.
- Press and hold the CLEAN button for 20 seconds to reboot your robot. You'll know it is rebooting because the light ring will swirl a white light in a clockwise direction. When the light ring turns off, the reboot is complete.
- Try reinstalling the battery. A guide is available here.
If none of these solutions works, then get in touch with iRobot Customer Care for further support. Ideally, have your robot's serial number and proof of purchase to hand, to make life easier.
Read More: How To Fix Roomba Charging Errors
Error 11 Bin Issue
For other Roomba robot models, error 11 usually means that the vacuum in the bin isn't working properly. If this is the case, then it may mean your robot can't clean as effectively.
The recommended solution is to replace your 'Aeroforce' bin. You can either order one of these from an official retailer, the iRobot store, or by contacting the customer care team.
You'll know if this is your issue because you'll receive one of the following messages, depending on your model:
- If you own a robot from the Roomba 900 series, it says “Error eleven (11). Please open the iRobot App for help.”
- The Wi-Fi-connected Roomba 800 series says “Error eleven (11). Please open the iRobot HOME App for help.”
- And finally, the Roomba 800 series simply says “Error eleven (11).”
Read More: How To Clean Leather Car Seats
Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to repair this problem, so purchasing a new bin may be your only fix. But it doesn't hurt to contact the customer care team just in case.
What Is The Warranty?
In some cases, if the fault can be identified as a manufacturing issue, then you may be covered by warranty. The iRobot customer care will be able to advise you on this.
The full terms and conditions of the limited warranty can be found here. But some of the key points are as follows:
- The warranty lasts for one year from date of purchase. Do note that this may vary depending on the country you bought your vacuum from.
- The warranty does not cover "normal" wear and tear.
- You also won't be covered if there is physical damage, or if there is evidence that you have, for example, tried to open the battery enclosure.
It's worth having a read of the full terms and conditions, so that you have an idea of whether or not you might be eligible for a warranty repair.