Are your PS5 downloads so slow? We will tell you how to speed up your PS5 updates...
You've waited for so long for this moment. That epic game has finally been released, and after months of waiting, just need to download it before you can get stuck in. And you keep waiting. And waiting...and waiting. There's nothing like slow downloads to take the edge of all that anticipation.
Maybe you were hoping to get a couple of hours under your belt before having to do sensible stuff like go to bed because of work tomorrow, or spend time with your family. And now you can't, and all because of PS5 slow download speed. Well, we're here to help.
Why Are My PS5 Downloads So Slow?
There are myriad reasons why you may be experiencing PS5 slow download speeds. First and foremost, if you're only paying for a basic internet package, then the maximum speeds you can get are likely to be limited. This means that any large files - such as a AAA video game for example - may take a long time to download.
As well as the speed your ISP is offering, another factor is the speed of the connection from your router to your PS5. This is particularly true if you are using WiFi, and your console is a long way away from your router. The further away it is, and the more barriers the signal has to pass through, the slower it's likely to be.
Is there a lot of traffic on your router? Are you trying to download something while also streaming a 4K movie, or playing Call of Duty online? Are other people in the household also trying to go online at the same time? In very basic terms, the more traffic on your network, the longer a download is going to take.
And finally, sometimes your connection can just be a bit...shonky. Regardless of the cause of your download speeds, what can you do to speed things up? Read on, for a few fixes. It may be easier than you think.
How To Improve PS5 Slow Download Speed
In no particular order, here are some easy ways to try to speed up your PS5 downloads. Try them, and hopefully, you'll notice a difference.
- Restart your router. If you are finding that your internet is running slower than normal, this is a simple way to refresh the connection. Simply turn it off, leave it for a minute or two, then start it up again.
- In a similar vein, disconnecting your PS5 from the network, then reconencting, can also refresh the connection.
- If you are on WiFi, try switching to a wired connection to improve stability. And also try to get your console as close to the router as you can.
- Try downloading in Rest Mode. This will switch off many of the online tasks your console will perform when it's turned on. So this may save you some time.
- Minimise the traffic on the network. Turn off any non-essential downloads, stop streaming that movie, and stop mining cryptocurrency. Of course, you may not be able to persuade others in your household to turn off whatever theya re doing online. In which case, you may need to wait until they've finished, before that bandwidth can be freed up.
- Last, but by no means least, consider changing your internet package. If your download speeds are capped at something slower than you consider reasonable, then it may be time to upgrade to something a bit meatier.
As you can see, there are plenty of causes of, and solutions to, slow download speeds on your PS5. The good news is that it won't take a lot of effort for you to improve the situation.