Transferring data from your PS4 to your PS5 is usually a pretty straightforward process, but now and again, people experience issues with a nasty PS5 data transfer error. Problems such as the transfer getting stuck, or going really slowly have been identified by frustrated gamers, eager to move their data onto the new console.
If you've been thwarted in your efforts to transfer your data from PS4 to PS5, then you've come to the right place. Here are all the key pieces of information you need, to successfully complete a data transfer.
How To Fix PS4 To PS5 Data Transfer Error
Data transfers can be a frustration, especially if you have large amounts of data that you want to move. But there are a few basic steps you can take, if you are experiencing issues. Sony offers the following advice:
- If you've been connecting via WiFi, try connecting each console to the network via a wired connection. Alternatively, consider connecting the consoles directly to one another using an Ethernet cable.
- Turn off your router for 5-10 minutes, then restart it.
- You can retry transferring your data by going to Setting > System > System Software > Data Transfer.
- If you are still struggling, and you only want to transfer save data, consider switching to an alternative storage method, such as cloud storage, or a USB device.
- Sony also recommends that you do not use the Network Test feature while transferring data, or put your PS5 into Rest Mode.
There are some further steps you can consider taking, if you are still experiencing problems:
- Put both consoles into Safe Mode, and run a software update (Option 3).
- If the software update doesn't fix things, reboot in Safe Mode and Restore Default Settings on your PS5 (Option 4).
- Your next option is to return to Safe Mode and select Rebuild Your Database (Option 5).
These suggestions should help to overcome most, if not all, of your data transfer problems. But fundamental to all of this, is to make sure you have everything set up and prepped before you get started. We'll look at this next.
Read More: PS5 Slow Download Speed: Why Are My PS5 Downloads So Slow, And How To Speed Up PS5 Updates
Make sure your set up is correct
In order to make your data transfer go as smoothly as possible it's really important to make sure that you have done the groundwork for it:
- To prepare for your data transfer, make sure the PS4 and PS5 are signed into the same account.
- Update your system software to the latest version.
- Make sure your trophy information is synchronised. To do this: while viewing Trophies, press the Options button. Then press Sync with PlayStation Network.
You also have several methods of connecting the devices. Connect via WiFi, or use LAN cables to connect to the same network. You can also connect the consoles directly to one another using an Ethernet cable. We recommend using wired connections, to give you the most stable connection.
Once you're ready to go, simply start the data transfer process. Hopefully, you won't experience any further issues. But if you are having no joy, and have tried the suggestions we listed above, it might be worth contacting PlayStation Support for further guidance.
For more articles like this, take a look at our How To and PlayStation page.