If you weren't already aware, Oculus has announced a safety recall for the foam facial interface on the Oculus Quest 2. Users are eligible to claim a free silicone cover to replace the foam. So if you want to participate, we'll tell you exactly how to get that replacement. And if you're worried about the implications of the recall, we'll do what we can to put your mind at ease.
How to get free Oculus Quest 2 silicon face cover replacement
Oculus is trying to make the process as simple as possible for customers, and you can complete it in a few simple steps:
- Sign in with your Facebook or Oculus ID
- Go to My Devices and request a Quest 2 silicone cover
- You'll need to make sure you have the serial numbers for your Quest 2. According to Oculus, you can find these in a number of places:
- Headset: On the right-hand side of your headset, gently pull the strap back away from the strap arm until it pops off. Your headset serial number will be on the inside of the strap arm.
- Box/packaging: On the outside of your Oculus Quest 2 box, look for a white sticker marked with a barcode. Under the barcode, find S/N followed by the 14-digit serial number.
- My Account: From your My Account page, go to the Devices section, and your headset and its serial number can be found here.
- Oculus app: Open the Oculus app and click Devices at the bottom. Your headset and its serial number can be found here.
- Enter and submit your shipping address. Then wait.
This is available to any users of a Quest 2 or a Quest 2 Fit Pack. But what exactly is the recall, and why is it happening?
Why has there been a recall?
The official line from Oculus is as follows:
We received reports that a very small percentage of Quest 2 customers were experiencing skin irritation after using the Quest 2 removable foam facial interface.The rate of reports remains small, but we are voluntarily taking further steps in cooperation with regulators.
Apparently, the "vast majority" of cases are mild and "should resolve on their own". But Oculus do recommend that if you are experiencing any skin irritation, you should stop using your Quest 2, request a silicone face cover, and wait for that to arrive. Even if you haven't experienced irritation, you can still request a silicone replacement face cover.
The good news is that this issue appears to be in a very small number of cases, so for most people, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. And when your new silicone cover arrives, it's very easy to install. Just follow the installation instructions. And don't throw away the foam facial interface, as you'll need that to install the silicone cover.