Using your Epic Games account may come across some issues if you try to link it on a Nintendo Switch. The reason behind this could vary, but it's usually due to internet connection issues, maintenance on Fortnite servers, and other factors.
For the last few months on the Nintendo Switch console, Fortnite players have experienced their fair share of account problems on the platform. Fortunately, Nintendo has a record of these issues to help the players suffering from these.
These issues could potentially prevent some long time Fortnite players who want to play the game on the Switch. However, it's also been confirmed that Fortnite players can still link their progress to different platforms at the same time if they're suffering from these issues for a prolonged amount of time.
With this in mind, here's how to fix these issues in order to play Fortnite on the Nintendo Switch.
How to fix Fortnite account issue specific on Nintendo Switch
One of the most common issues that Fortnite users on the Switch suffer from is:
“This Fortnite account is associated with a platform which does not allow it to operate on Nintendo Switch"
This problem prevents any Epic Games account to be linked to the platform.
To fix this, the official Nintendo page has a workaround to help fix the Fortnite account to work on the Switch:
- Go to the Official Fortnite site.
- Login your account at the upper right side of the site.
- Hover your mouse pointer on your Username to reveal the Account button.
- Click on the button to find the Connected Accounts menu where you can manage your account's platforms.
- Make sure that your account is still not tied to a PlayStation Network account. Apparently, the PlayStation network link restricts your Fortnite account from linking to other platforms.
- Once it’s been unlinked, the Epic Games account should now be able to 'relink' to your Nintendo Switch.
Ever since Fortnite’s release on the Nintendo Switch, it’s been confirmed that both PlayStation and Switch users can play together through cross play. This is also what allows this feature to be used between consoles.
However, the strict “no takebacks” rule of Fortnite accounts still stands so it’s best to be careful on linking accounts. The rule stands that if a Fortnite account is unlinked, it cannot be linked again to the same account on the Switch. Trying to do so would force the player to use fresh Fortnite account instead.
For now, many fans are still waiting for Fortnite to branch out even further and possibly make a version for it on the newer platforms such as Google Stadia.
For more articles like this, take a look at our How To page.