Are you been having problems with your PS5 not connecting to the Internet? Then you are definitely in need of some fixes.
Having issues with your Ps5 not connecting to the internet can be a major inconvenience, particularly when you are trying to take advantage of the myriad benefits of an online connection. Features such as online play, PS Now, and PS Plus, all rely to a greater or lesser extent on having that internet connection. So if you are struggling to connect, you risk missing out on many of the features that make the PS5 so popular.
How To Fix PS5 Not Connecting To The Internet Via WiFi
If you are struggling to make your PS5 connect to the internet via WiFi, there are some quick fixes that you can try, like checking the connection between your router and console. If you do receive this message, it's a big clue that the issue is with the connection between your console and your router, rather than an internet issue. And there are a host of reasons this might be happening:
- A problem with your router or your console
- Other devices interfering with the wireless connection
- The console is just too far away from the router
- A faulty PS5
These are the most common problems. Fortunately, there are several solutions you can try.
Steps to fix PS5 connection issues
- If this is the first time you are connecting to your WiFi connection, make sure you are entering the password correctly.
- Do a power cycle of your PS5, and also restart your router. Then reattempt to connect.
- Test other devices to identify whether they are able to connect to your WiFi or not. If nothing is connecting, then you may need to contact your ISP.
- We said earlier that your PS5 might be too far away, so try moving it closer to the router. This is especially relevant if you live somewhere with thick walls. Alternatively, you can think about trying a signal booster for your WiFi.
- If this is an option, then you can try using an ethernet cable instead of a wireless connection. Ethernet tends to be faster and more stable than a wireless connection.
- Finally, if none of these options has worked, you can use the PlayStation Fix and Connect tool which will try to offer further support. It's also worth checking to see if there are any issues with the PlayStation Network, just in case the issue isn't at your end.
But what can you do if a LAN connection isn't working? We'll check that out next.
How To Fix PS5 Not Connecting To The Internet Via LAN/Ethernet
If you are using a LAN connection and are still having issues connecting to the internet, you also have a few options to try to fix the problem. We'll assume you've done obvious things like making sure your cable is working, and that your router is also working properly. If so, here's what you can try:
- Disconnect your PS5 from the internet. Do a hard reset on your console, and plug the LAN cable back in once it has booted up.
- Make sure your router firmware is fully up to date.
- The next step is to check your IP address. Make sure that the IP address and the default gateway of your LAN connection match what is showing as available on your PS5.
- To do this, connect your cable to a computer and run the ipconfig command.
- Add the IP4 and Default Gateway values to your console
- An additional solution that users have found effective is to manually assign an IP address. To do this:
- Navigate to your PS5’s network settings and manually assign an IP address.
- Launch your browser and go to your router’s settings page.
- Locate your PS5 in your router’s list of connected devices.
- On your router’s settings page, assign the new static IP to your console.
- Then enable DMZ in your router settings. You need to add the PS5’s new static IP address to the list of DMZ devices. By doing that, your console gets full unfiltered access to the internet.
- Restart your PS5 console and router and check if you can now use your LAN cable.
- Failing this, you can create a new connection by doing the following:
- Go to your PS5 home screen > navigate to Settings > Network > Set Up Internet Connection
- Select the option Use a LAN Cable
- You will be asked how you want to set up your connection. Select Easy
- The message Test Internet Connection will appear on the screen to complete the connection set-up process.
- One final option that some people have found effective is to change the DNS server settings. Primary DNS is set to 8888, and secondary DNS is 8844.
Using the Fix and Connect tool to fix the Ps5 not connecting to the internet
You can also use the PlayStation Fix and Connect tool which we referenced above. If nothing at all is working, then there may be something more fundamentally broken with your PS5. In this case, you may need to contact PlayStation Support to request a repair. If your console is still under warranty, then they may be able to fix it without it costing you anything.
But hopefully, by the time you've tried all these different options, you'll be back online and enjoying the best of what the PS5 has to offer.
What Internet Speed Do I Need To Play PS5 Online?
Most console manufacturers will recommend a minimum of 3Mbps of download speed in order to play your PS5 online.
But this is lower than the recommended internet connection speed of 15-25Mbps, which will give you faster uploads and downloads, and an all-around smoother gameplay experience.
It also means that you have some wriggle room if anyone else is using the internet while you are trying to play.
If you find yourself consistently struggling to hit these speeds, then it may be time to speak to your internet service provider about getting a different plan. That is all we have for you on how to fix the Ps5 not connecting to the internet, we are sure you will find some fixes that work.