Console crashes are not unique to the new generation of consoles, with PS5 error code CE-34878-0 continuing this trend into 2021.
It's very frustrating when you've paid a small fortune for a difficult to buy a PS5, only to find that you are presented with Error Code CE-34878-0. So in this article, we'll run through what this code is, what might be causing it, and what you can do to try to fix it. Let's dive right in.
How To Fix PS5 Error Code CE-34878-0
Interestingly, Sony's own support page only provides information for the PS4 version of the error. But we can still take some of the advice from this and apply it to the PS5:
- Start by doing a system reboot, and see if a power cycle helps to remedy the situation.
- Make sure that your system is fully up to date. Close the application that caused the error, install any outstanding system or game updates, and restart your console.
- On the PS4 this error was sometimes linked to an upgraded HDD in the system. So if you've been fiddling with the storage on your PS5, this could be a factor. Reverse whatever it was you did, to see if that helps.
- Another option is to backup your saved data, and then reset your console. To backup your data:
- System > Backup and Restore > Back Up Your PS5, and transfer everything to a USB drive
- Once you've backed up your data:
- Go to Settings > System
- Select System Software
- Choose Reset Options
- Select Reset your Console
- Press Reset
If the error keeps occurring with every application, or when the application starts, contact PlayStation Support for further assistance.
What is Error Code CE-34878-0?
While not perhaps the most memorable name for an error Error Code CE-34878-0 is a classic. The code also appeared in the PS4 era and is known as a general error code. This means that your console has crashed, but it isn't necessarily pinpointed to a specific cause. We've covered your PS5 freezing in this article, but the error code we are looking at today has a similar effect. It crashes your system, and delivers the message:
An error has occurred with the application
If it's a general error, is there anything that will fix it, given we can't necessarily pinpoint the reason for it? Well actually, yes, there are a few options for you to try.
For more articles like this, take a look at our How To page.