It's a running joke that the PS4 can sound a lot louder than basically everything else in existence. We've all heard the stories, your mate turned on their PS4 across town and you could hear it from where you were, plus it woke the baby up.
It's not an ideal situation, far from it in fact. However, is there anything you can do about this colossal racket?
Do you have to suffer through not being able to hear your games, but only the effort that your PS4 puts into running them?
Well, here's how to fix the loud PS4 whirring noise.
How to fix the loud PS4 whirring noise
The noise arises due to the sheer effort that your PS4 fans are making to keep everything cool. That means even doing something as simple as cleaning the console or moving it can help.
However, you might need to go deeper, in which case you'll need to open up your console.
This requires a bit of effort, as you'll need a T9 screwdriver to do so, and you'll also void your warranty, so it's not without its risks either.
READ MORE: Should you trade your PS4 for a PS5?
How to clean your PS4 fans
If all of that is fine with you, then this is how you can do it:
- Remove the seals covering your PS4 at the bottom part of the back of it
- Use the screwdriver to remove the 3 lower screws
- Pop off the bottom part of the PS4 and gently pull it away. GENTLY!
- Clean the dust you can see on all exposed areas
- Check the fan specifically now, and very carefully use an air compressor to blow away the dust.
- Make sure you do this without turning it sidewise, you need to only get the fan with the air
- Close up your PS4 by putting it back together and putting the screws to it
- Wait around 40 minutes before turning it back on
Once all of that is done you should be good to go. If you're unsure about anything it's worth going to YouTube to follow along with visual instructions, if you're that way inclined. Hopefully following along with all of this should stop you from having to make the "PS4 goes brrrr" joke.
READ MORE:How to fix your HDMI port on PS4
For more articles like this, take a look at our How To page.