You might be tempted to just ignore the dead pixels on your display, but it’s better to know how to check for dead pixels on your monitor and phone.
Dead pixels are one of the most common problems plaguing displays, alongside black screen of death, monitor ghosting and monitor flickering. In most cases, dead pixels are a minor annoyance, but if you have a display with a lot of them, it can be a major problem.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to check for dead pixels on your display, and how to get rid of them. Let's get started!
How To Check For Dead Pixels On Monitor
A dead pixel is a pixel on your display that doesn’t work. In most cases, it appears as a black dot on the screen and refuses to light up. If you are suspicious that your display might have a dead pixel, the best way to check for them is to use a dead pixel detector tool.
Here is how to check for dead pixels on your monitor.
- First off, clean your monitor screen to remove dust and other debris. You can use a soft microfiber cloth for this purpose. Avoid using abrasive pads, paper towels, or cloth towels as they can scratch and damage the screen.
- Once your monitor is spotless, go to https://lcdtech.info/en/tests/dead.pixel.htm
- Click Start test and take a second to let your eyes get used to the brightness. Then, inspect carefully for any dead pixels on your monitor.
- Consecutively, run the Black, Red, Green and Blue test screens to see if there are any dead pixels on your monitor.
- Once you have run all the test screens, press Esc twice to exit the test.
If you find any dead pixels on your monitor, you will either need to fix it or replace the monitor. In most cases, dead pixels cannot be fixed, so your only option is to replace the monitor. However, if your display has only a few dead pixels, the best move is to just live with them.
Read More: How To Check If Your Phone Has Virus
How To Check For Dead Pixels On Phone
Although it isn't prevalent, dead pixels can also be found on your phone. In the same way, you can check for dead pixels on your monitor, you can also check for dead pixels on your smartphone.
There are plenty of apps and tools for this purpose, but we recommend using the website jscreenFix.com for iPhone and iPad users. Just open this website from your phone and follow the instructions there.
For Android users, the Dead Pixels Test and Fix app will do the job. Here is how to check for dead pixels on your Android phone.
- The first step is to install the Dead Pixels Test and Fix app from the Play Store.
- Once installed, open the app and click on Check Dead Pixels.
- Let the app run the test.
- If the app finds any dead pixels, it’ll let you know.
As mentioned above, dead pixels cannot be fixed. However, you will find many fixes on the Internet that claim to fix dead pixels. They work for stuck pixels, but it is highly unlikely that they will work for dead pixels. A screen replacement is your only option to fix the issue.