If you are hit by the PS4 DNS error with error code NW-31253-4 while trying to access online features, then this guide is for you!
Like any other piece of technology, your PS4 can sometimes encounter errors and glitches that can be frustrating. From error code WC-40383-8 to SSL connection error to error code SU-42481-9, there are a lot of problems that can interrupt your gaming session.
In this article, we will explore what error code NW-31253-4 is, what causes the PS4 DNS error, and most importantly, how to fix it so that you can get back to gaming without any interruptions.
What is error code NW-31253-4?
For the uninitiated, DNS stands for Domain Name System, and it is responsible for translating domain names into IP addresses, allowing your device to connect to the internet.
The PS4 DNS error aka error code NW-31253-4 is a common network error that occurs when there is a delay or instability in the response from the DNS server, and as a result, you'll face the PS4 not connecting to the Internet issue.
Incorrect DNS settings, a problem with your router or modem, or a problem with the DNS server itself are some causes of this issue. Also, your router blocking port numbers that are used by the PSN servers to connect to the Internet can also result in a DNS error.
How to fix PS4 DNS error
The PS4 DNS error can be frustrating for gamers and internet users because it prevents them from accessing online features, playing games online, streaming content, and browsing the internet.
Thankfully, the PlayStation support page offers a number of solutions that you can try. So here are the steps you need to take to fix the PS4 DNS error:
- Restart your PS4 as well as your router.
- Contact your ISP and check if they are carrying out any maintenance on their network. If so, use your mobile hotspot to connect to the Internet.
- The following port numbers are used by the PSN servers to connect to the Internet. Make sure they are not blocked by your router:
- TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
- UDP: 3478, 3479
- If you have been using a specific DNS server, go to Settings > Network > Set Up Internet Connection > Custom and change the DNS settings. Select one of the best DNS servers for PS4.
Hopefully, one of the suggestions we outlined here will fix the PS4 DNS error for you. It is worth noting that similar to the PS4, the DNS error can also occur on a PS5 console, and the troubleshooting steps are similar for both consoles.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Guides and Gaming page.