Genshin Impact regularly gets game updates, but sometimes they can throw in an error, or not download correctly. On these occasions, it can be worth updating Genshin Impact manually, to try to avoid issues with the launcher. But just how do you download a Genshin Impact update?
In an effort to assist you in this endeavour, we've put together this handy little guide for you. We'll explain how to update Genshin Impact manually, whether you are on a PC or an Android device. And hopefully, it will help to make those updates work as seamlessly as possible.
How To Update Genshin Impact Manually on PC
The easy way to check for an update on PC is as follows:
- Open the game launcher, and click to open Genshin Impact.
- If an update is available, a pop-up window should automatically appear.
- In case you missed the pop-up, the Update button should still be visible.
- Click the button to update the game.
- Restart the launcher.
If you are trying to update Genshin Impact manually by downloading the pre-installation game files on a PC, then you need to start by ensuring that the launcher is fully up-to-date, and running the latest version. Usually, this will happen automatically.
- Start by downloading the files you need. This will normally be the update version patch (e.g. 2.2 Patch) and a language audio file. You don't need to download all of these, just the one you need.
- Once this is done, your next step is to click the pre-installation button. Then click the same button in order to pause it.
- Next, quit the launcher completely, and make sure it isn't running in the background. The best way to do this is to check Task Manager.
- Then go to your Genshin Impact Game folder (typically it will be something like C:\Program Files\Genshin Impact\Genshin Impact Game\ by default. If, however, you installed to a different location, go there instead) and delete all .zip_tmp files (partial download).
- Copy all the files you downloaded in the Required Downloads section.
- Paste them in your Genshin Impact game folder (the same location as listed above).
- Open the launcher again, and you should see a message saying Pre-Installation done.
There are a couple of really important points to note. The first is to make sure you don't unzip the files. If you unzip them early, then you won't be able to play Genshin Impact until the update is live. If the update is already live, then it will say Update instead of Pre-installation done. Click on it, and the files will be installed.
Read More: Is Genshin Impact on Xbox: Will Genshin Impact Come To Xbox One or Xbox Series X, Plus Genshin Impact Xbox Release Date
How To Update Genshin Impact Manually on Android
Manually updating Genshin Impact on Android is a straightforward process:
- Open the Play Store.
- Navigate to Manage apps and device.
- Tap Updates available, to see a list of anything with a pending update.
- If Genshin Impact has an update available, you'll see it listed.
- Simply tap the word Update next to the game, to start installing the update.
In most cases, an automatic update will be successful. But just in case you run into any issues, then having these methods up your sleeve can be quite useful.
Read More: Genshin Impact Internet: Does Genshin Impact Need Internet, Or Can You Play It Offline?