You’re not alone if you’re experiencing the VRChat avatar error.
Many VRChat users are experiencing various kinds of issues on the platform lately. From VRChat crashing to not loading at all, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. VRChat avatar error is another error that's been cropping up in recent times.
If you are having trouble with your VRChat avatar, here are some tips that might help you.
How to fix VRChat avatar error on PC
Whether it is your avatar or other people's avatars, it can be a pain when it doesn't load. But no worries, we have found some tips that can help you. Assuming that your PC is powerful enough to run the app, follow the troubleshooting steps to fix VRChat crashing not loading issue.
- It is perhaps because of your poor internet connection. Try the following:
- First, do a speed test and make sure your upload/download speed while playing VRChat is up to snuff. If not, contact your ISP.
- Terminate all other bandwidth-heavy applications.
- Restart your router/modem.
- Move electronic devices, if any, away from your PC or router as they may interfere with wireless signals.
- If possible, switch to a wired connection.
- Try deleting the files in your
\AppData\LocalLow\VRChat\folder, and then starting VRChat back up again.
- Clearing your download cache can solve the VRChat avatar error. To do that:
- From your Steam Client, open the Settings panel by selecting "Steam > Settings" from the top left client menu.
- In the Settings panel, select the Downloads tab and you'll find the "Clear Download Cache" button at the bottom.
- Then select "OK" to confirm and acknowledge that you'll need to log in to Steam again.
- Enable Receive Window Auto-Tuning feature for improved data transfer. This fix has resolved the slow world/avatar loading issue for many users.
- Run Command Prompt as administrator
- Enter the following command:
netsh interface tcp show global
- Look at line 2 "Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level"; if it says disabled you need to turn it on.
- To do that, enter the following command:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
Hopefully, one of our suggestions will fix the VRChat avatar error for you. In case the problem persists after trying each and every suggestion, we recommend you reach out to the support team at VRChat by filling out this form.
How to fix the VRChat avatar error on Oculus Quest 2
If you are experiencing any issues with VRChat on your Oculus/Meta Quest 2, the support team recommends you uninstall and reinstall the VRChat application to fix the issue. However, we have some additional fixes for you to try before you uninstall the app.
- Make sure you are running the latest Quest software as well as the latest version of VRChat.
- Try restarting your headset, which has worked for some users.
- The last resort, if the uninstall didn't work, is to factory reset your headset.
In case nothing seems to solve the VRChat avatar error, we recommend you send the support team a ticket. Make sure you are as detailed as you can. Describe your issue, including what you were doing at the time, what you were attempting to do, and what happened instead.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Gaming page.