Looking for ways to fix the Steam Deck controller not working issue? We've got you covered!
The Steam Deck controller is great. They're a pleasure to use and much more comfortable than the significantly smaller Nintendo Switch. But, sometimes, the Steam Deck controller doesn't work, and this is really frustrating.
In this article, we will show you how to fix the Steam Deck controller not working issue, so you can get back to enjoying your favourite game. Let's get started!
How To Fix Steam Deck Controller Not Working Issue
Many players have been complaining about the Steam Deck controller not working in certain games. If you are experiencing the same with your Steam Deck controller, we have some troubleshooting tips that you can try to fix the issue. Here you go.
- Install any available system updates by navigating to Steam > Settings > System > Software Updates.
- Restart your Steam Deck by holding the Power button down for 10 seconds.
- If you have an external controller, just plug it in and then unplug it. Now, see if the Steam Deck controller has started working. This fix worked for some.
- Enter the Desktop Mode by going to Steam > Power > Switch to Desktop. Then, navigate to Steam > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings and there you will see a button to Unhide Devices. Click on it!
- Open the game you are having issues with and go to Options > Developer > Delete Proton Files. Then navigate to Options > Properties > Compatibility and select Proton Experimental. It has worked for many and hopefully, it will work for you as well.
If none of the fixes seems to be working for you, you may want to consider contacting Steam Support and asking for their help. Most of the time, it might not be necessary to contact the support team since one of our fixes will likely resolve your issue.
Steam Deck Controller Configuration
Some games’ default control schemes may not work well with the handheld's controller layout and you may need to change the Steam Deck controller configuration. But how do you do that? Luckily, it is pretty easy.
To change your controls for an individual game, go to game details by highlighting a game in your Library and pressing the A button. Open the control settings by selecting the gamepad icon. Here, you can view and edit your current layout.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Gaming page.