The Splatoon 3 communication error is one which we've seen before, with previous iterations of Splatoon. Not that this provides much comfort to anyone afflicted by it.
And the consequences of disconnecting mid-match can be pretty significant (we'll explain more about this further down). If you find yourself losing your connection in Splatoon 3, it's therefore pretty important to get things back to normal as quickly as possible.
We'll explain what's going on, and what you need to do about it.
How To Fix The "A Communication Error Has Occurred" In Splatoon 3
If you keep bumping up against this issue, then in general. it points to a problem with your internet connection. This could be that your internet is too slow, or that your wireless connection isn't strong enough. here's what you are advised to do:
- Start by completing a speed test for your internet connection.
- You'll need a minimum download speed of 1.5mbps, or upload speed of 1mbps. Realistically, you'll probably want both of these to be a bit higher. And if either of them falls below the numbers we've mentioned, you're going to need to look at your internet service. This means you will need to speak with your ISP.
Assuming your speeds aren't below that threshold, your next step is to examine your set-up.
- If you are using a wireless connection, switching to an Ethernet connection will often provide greater stability. On a Nintendo Switch you can plug the Ethernet cable into the Switch dock with LAN port.
- If you don't have this option, try moving your router and Switch closer to each other, to help improve signal strength.
- You can also try switching your router to a different wireless channel, to see if this makes a difference. You'll normally be able to do this by accessing your router's configuration menu.
- If there are metal objects or other electronic devices close to your Switch, try moving these away. This includes items such as filing cabinets, speakers, and cordless phones.
- turn off other devices that might be trying to compete for bandwidth, to reduce traffic on your network.
If none of these steps resolves the issue, then it's probably time to connect Nintendo Support for further advice.
- Read More: How To Fix Splatoon 3 Server Error
What Is The Splatoon 3 Communication Error?
This occurs most often when players are involved in an online match. It means that the player who receives this error is no longer able to communicate with the other consoles involved in the game. It also seems to occur when you are in the multiplayer lobby. In this scenario, players are being booted out without even managing to start a match.
As we said earlier, the consequences of this error mid-match can be quite severe. For a start, players forfeit the match they were in the middle of playing. They also lose and Vibe, Freshness or Rank points.
In severe cases, where the connection disconnects multiple times in quick succession, players may receive a warning message before playing a match. And if it keeps happening, you may find yourself blocked from playing for a period of time. This can range from 15 minutes to as much as an hour.
It's therefore really important to make sure your internet connection is working properly as soon as you start encountering this error. And the steps we've outlined above are your best for ensuring that you don't fall foul of any penalties.
Nintendo has acknowledged a number of issues that they are aware of in Splatoon 3. They are currently working on a patch that they hope will fix a number of these issues, including communication errors. So keep checking for any updates, and download and install them as soon as they become available.
In the meantime, the fixes we outlined earlier are your best bet for overcoming the Splatoon 3 communication error, without falling foul of any penalties.