You're about to board the first train to Splatsville, then - Wham! Ok, no George Michael, but you do encounter the dreaded Splatoon 3 black screen. No train to Splatsville. Just a train to disappointmentsville. Population: You.
We'll explain a little bit more about what causes the black screen error below. But before that, we'll let you know what you can do to fix it, and get back to playing this extremely well-received game. And once you're back in action, you can find out when is the next Splatfest in Splatoon 3.
How To Fix The Splatoon 3 Black Screen Error
It's important to explain right off the bat that Nintendo is aware of the issue, and they are working hard on delivering a patch to resolve it. But in the meantime, it suggested a number of potential solutions to help overcome this issue:
- Make sure the Nintendo Switch is not connected to the internet (e.g. set it to airplane mode). To put your console into Flight Mode:
- Go to the System Settings menu:
- From the HOME Menu, select System Settings.
- From the options on the left, select Flight Mode.
- Select Flight Mode on the right-hand side, then press A to activate it. To deactivate it, press A again.
- Start Splatoon 3 in this state, decide the appearance of the player, and proceed to Bangkara/Splatsville.
- Connect your device to the internet while in Bangkara Street/Splatsville.
- Enter the lobby to transfer save data and select your Splatfest region.
This should resolve the issue for most players until the promised patch has been delivered. Make sure you keep checking for updates and download and install any as soon as they become available.
Nintendo has promised that as well as addressing the black screen, the patch will also address some other notable issues, such as connection errors that seem to crop up during Salmon Run.
- Read More: How To Fix Splatoon 3 Server Error
What Is The Splatoon 3 Black Screen Error?
The Splatoon 3 black screen error has been cropping up for many players. Essentially, the game seems to stop loading after the screen where the yellow and blue inks mix. Instead of progressing, the screen just turns black, and players are unable to do anything.
It's a fairly significant issue, as up until now there was no clear workaround for it, leaving players unable to access the game at all.
- Read More: Splatoon 3 Communication Error: How To Fix The "A Communication Error Has Occurred" In Splatoon 3
While a workaround is slightly less satisfactory than a permanent solution, at least this offers players a way of getting into the game, so that they can actually play Splatoon 3.
Hopefully, the patch that resolves this and other issues will arrive soon, and the black screen will in future be caused by you accidentally turning off your television instead.