If you experiencing stuttering in Modern Warfare 2, you are not alone.
The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Early Access is live now and a lot of players who have preordered the game are running into some problems.
While the missing DLC pack error and the 'Timed Out Waiting for Datacenters' error are not uncommon, the most frustrating issue that many gamers are facing is stuttering during gameplay.
So we have put together some tips that will help you get rid of the stuttering problem in Modern Warfare 2 and enjoy smoother gameplay.
How to fix Modern Warfare 2 stuttering
Modern Warfare 2 is a fast-paced, action-packed multiplayer game and stuttering can have a profound detrimental impact on your experience. Issues such as stuttering, lag, packet loss and high ping can cause a delay in your character's actions, which wreaks havoc on gameplay and possibly even make you lose the game.
Fortunately, we have compiled some tips that will help you reduce or eliminate stuttering in Modern Warfare 2. But, before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps, the first thing to do is to ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements to run the game.
Assuming you do have a computer that meets those basic requirements, here's what we recommend to try.
- Make sure that your system software and graphics drivers are fully up to date. If you use AMD, you can check for updates here. If you are on NVIDIA, go here. And for Intel, click here.
- Try capping your frame rate at 60 FPS to see if this helps.
- Turn off unnecessary background processes to save resources. Also, give Modern Warfare 2 High Priority, so that more of the computer resource will be allocated to the game while it is being played, helping improve performance.
- Lower your screen resolution and see if it makes any difference.
- Toggle VSync or FreeSync on (or off) and see whether this improves matters.
- Disable the overlays such as Steam, Origin, GeForce Experience and Windows Game Bar.
- Try decreasing anti-aliasing as higher levels of anti-aliasing can cause the GPU to work overtime, potentially leading to a bottleneck.
- Tone down the in-game graphics settings such as the texture settings.
- Verify the integrity of game files via Steam or Battle.net.
- Don't overclock your GPU as it results in overheating which can cause stuttering or lag in gameplay.
Hopefully, one of our suggestions will work for you, allowing you to enjoy your MW2 like never before. If not, we recommend you contact Activision Support for further assistance. We can hope that Activision will release a patch soon to optimize the game.
Read more: Modern Warfare 2 file size: How many GB is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 2022?
Why is Modern Warfare 2 Stuttering?
Stuttering is an age-old problem in gaming. It's a pain in the butt, to be frank. There are a number of things that can cause stuttering in Modern Warfare 2. Some of them are:
- Hardware issues such as underpowered CPU/GPU and inadequate RAM.
- Outdated OS and graphics drivers
- Corrupted game files.
Software problems such as outdated drivers can be easily fixed. Hardware problems, on the other hand, are difficult to fix. You need to upgrade your PC to meet the hardware requirements to run the game.
If you do need to upgrade your system, take a look at our list of the best gaming PC.