If you are getting the Modern Warfare 2 connection timed-out error on Steam, we can help!
Modern Warfare 2 Campaign early access is live now across all platforms and the players who digitally preordered the game are able to start playing it.
However, some players who are trying to download the game from Steam are getting a connection timed-out error, which is preventing them from installing the game.
Thankfully, some players have already found a few fixes that can quickly resolve this issue. Let's jump right into it!
How to fix Modern Warfare 2 Steam connection timed out error
Modern Warfare 2 has a very big file size which can only be downloaded over a stable internet connection. That said, even if you have a decent internet connection, you can run into connection issues like the Steam connection timed-out error. So, what can you do about it?
Well, here are some troubleshooting tips that may help you fix the Modern Warfare 2 Steam connection timed-out error.
- It is likely that the Steam servers are overloaded with users trying to download the game, and therefore the servers are unable to respond to your download request at the moment. So, you can try again once the traffic clears up.
- A Reddit user suggested using Caribbean servers will ensure maximum speed and as it is less crowded. So, use a VPN and connect to one of the servers in the Caribbean region.
- Your poor internet connection could also be the source of the problem. Try the following tips to improve your connection to the Steam servers and make Steam download faster.
- Shut down other programs that access the internet to reduce traffic in the network.
- Restart your modem or router to make sure your network device hasn't become flooded with data.
- Release and renew your IP and flush your DNS to resolve any network conflicts.
- Try changing your DNS server to Google’s (126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52) or Cloudflare (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11).
- If possible, switch to a wired connection as it offers more stability.
Hopefully, one of the suggestions we outlined here will solve the Modern Warfare 2 Steam connection timed-out error. If not, we recommend you try downloading the game after a while as the servers might be down or laden with traffic.
Read more: How to fix Modern Warfare 2 crashing
What is the Modern Warfare 2 Steam connection timed-out error?
Generally, a connection timeout means that the server is taking too long to reply to a data request made by the client. It can happen for a number of things such as server outages, server overload, or a problem with your internet connection.
Here, the Modern Warfare 2 Steam connection timed-out error is possibly caused by the server being overburdened with download requests from a massive number of clients at the same time.
As Modern Warfare 2 is a highly anticipated AAA title and many players are eager to play it, these sorts of server issues are bound to happen. Trying to download the game during non-peak hours should fix the problem for you.