Are you experiencing a black screen in Modern Warfare 2?
The Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is out on some platforms and bugs are already being reported. Many players are complaining about the black screen in MW 2, which is very frustrating. Modern Warfare 2 lag and crashing issues are other commonly reported issues.
If you are one of those players who are stuck with a black screen in Modern Warfare 2, here are some solutions that may help you to fix this problem.
How to fix black screen in Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Apparently, PC, Xbox, and Playstation gamers suffer from the black screen in Modern Warfare 2. Some players experience a black screen when they launch the game, while others face the issue while playing the campaign - especially after dying.
Whatever the case may be, below are the steps to fix the black screen in Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Before you get into troubleshooting, make sure the game and your OS and graphics drivers are fully updated.
MW2 black screen fixes
Let's start with some of the easiest solutions we've got. Here are some troubleshooting tips you can try before we get into more complicated stuff.
- Press Alt+Tab to exit the game window, wait a few moments then try going back into it.
- Try switching to full screen and then back to borderless. Alternatively, if you're already in full screen, just go borderless > full screen > then back to borderless.
- If you have two monitors, unplug your second monitor from your GPU when playing the game.
- Set the resolution and refresh rate to the default settings of your monitor. You can do this by modifying the config file in the MW2 folder.
Scan and repair game files
The problem might be caused by corrupted or broken game files. So, you can try repairing your game files to fix the issue. Here’s how you can do that.
- Open the Blizzard Battle.net client and choose Call of Duty: MW II.
- Click on the Options drop-down button (cogwheel icon) on the right.
- Select the Scan and Repair option from the drop-down menu options.
- Click on the Begin Scan button and let it verify and repair your game files.
- Once the process is done, relaunch your game and check if the problem is resolved.
Disable your antivirus or firewall
Another common cause for problems with games is an overly aggressive firewall or antivirus programs. In the first instance, try adding MW2 to your whitelist, to stop these programs from potentially blocking the game.
If that doesn't appear to make a difference, you may need to temporarily disable them, and then run the game. If it works smoothly while they are turned off, you've probably identified the problem.
If you have tried everything we've already suggested still there is no success, you really have two options left.
One, uninstall and then reinstall the game. And if that doesn't work, we'd suggest contacting the official Customer Support team and reporting the issue. They will provide you with further guidance.
We're hoping that this is a temporary issue that will quickly be resolved. And the steps we've outlined above are your best bet for overcoming the Modern Warfare 2 black screen issue, without having to wait indefinitely for a fix from the developer.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Gaming page.