If you are wondering how to fix the unable to connect to world error in Minecraft, you are in the right place. We have got you covered.
Sometimes, joining friends and family in another world can be a difficult experience. If you are unable to connect to another world in Minecraft, be it on Xbox, PS4, iPhone or Switch, is there anything you can do to overcome this issue and set off on adventures with your nearest and dearest?
Today, we'll take a look at possible causes of, and solutions to, the Unable to Connect to World Error. So let's start digging, and see what answers we can unearth.
How To Fix Unable To Connect To World On Xbox
There are two main causes for this particular problem on Xbox. The first of which is related to NAT settings. This stands for Network Address Translation, and it needs to be set to Open, in order to allow you to play multiplayer games without issues. To check the status of this:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Network settings.
- Under Current Network Status, the NAT Type field displays your current NAT type.
- You need your NAT type to be Open to resolve this issue. You also want to ensure that there are no errors such as Double NAT detected or UPnP not successful displayed.
If you are seeing any of these issues, then you may need to amend some of the settings on your router. Contact your ISP provider if you need support with this.
The other possible issue with your Xbox might be that your privacy settings do not allow you to play multiplayer games online. For Minecraft, you can do the following:
- Go to http://account.xbox.com/ and log in with your parental account
- Click on Profile from the menu across the top
- On your profile page, click on Privacy Settings
- On this page, you should see your name and the Microsoft Gamertag of your child. Click on their name/picture
- Click on Xbox One/Windows 10 Online Safety right below the player names/profiles
- You will see you can play with people outside of Xbox Live - this needs to be set to Allow
- If you want them to be able to access Realms, you will also need to set the "You can create and join clubs" setting right below it to Allow
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Submit
- Your child will then need to fully restart the game by closing it on the main menu of their device (or through the app close screens on iOS)
How To Fix Unable To Connect To World on PS4
As with the Xbox, if your parental control settings aren't quite right, this can throw up the same error. To adjust parental controls:
- On your PS4 system, go to Settings > Parental Controls/Family Management > Family Management. You may need to re-enter your account password.
- Select the child account you want to set restrictions for and select a feature to adjust.
Likewise, if your NAT settings are wrong, this can also prevent you from accessing online multiplayer gaming, so double check your NAT settings, and make sure they are set to open. NAT settings are linked to your router, so either contact your ISP, or go to your online configurator and check or amend the settings there.
How To Fix Unable To Connect To World on Nintendo Switch
As we've said above, checking your NAT settings seems to be a consistent cause for this problem, so make sure it is set to Open. And if you need to make sure you configure your parental controls correctly, you can follow this link to get additional guidance on what you need to do.
Some Switch users have found that simply restarting the Switch console, can remedy the problem.
How To Fix Unable To Connect To World on iOS
With an iPhone or iPad, you might need to try a few slightly different things. Reported fixes include:
- Check that local server multiplayer is enabled in options
- Make sure that nobody is using a VPN
- Make sure that everyone's game is fully up to date, and that iOS is also fully updated
- Finally, make sure everyone trying to join is using a different Minecraft name
Hopefully, these strategies will allow you to join those worlds and enjoy your adventures together. But if not, there's always the support team at Minecraft here.
What Is The Minecraft Unable To Connect To World Error?
Minecraft offers cross-platform gameplay; so in theory, you should be able to play with whoever you like, regardless of what system you are both using. The only caveat to this is they must own the same version of Minecraft as you.
So whether you are using the Bedrock edition or the Java edition, you need to ensure the other parties are also using the same edition.
Bedrock enables players to crossplay on consoles and phones, so that's the version we'll be focusing on. Assuming you are all using the same edition of Minecraft, this particular error arises when you are attempting to visit someone else's world.
But what can you do about it? Here are some possible solutions.