While the PS4Dualshock controller has now been around for years, it remains one of the most popular gamepads available, thanks to its intuitive design, and familiarity to millions of gamers around the world.
So it stands to reason that if you are playing games on your Chromebook, it might be nice if you could enjoy some of the benefits of using one of the best joypads available today. With that in mind, can you actually connect the PS4 controller to a Chromebook? And if so, how do you do it, and are there any limitations?
We'v got everything you need to know, right here, in a neat little package.
First, the news
Having been around for so long, the PS4 controller has certainly had a lot of time to be made compatible with other platforms. Happily, this means that the PS4 DualShock controller is compatible with Stadia. You can connect via USB or Bluetooth, provided you are on Chrome version 77 or later. Nvidia has also confirmed that you can use the DualShock controller with GeForceNow. And finally Steam have confirmed that PS5 controller support is available.
So with all that in mind, you have your preferred gaming platform. You have your DualShock controller. Now, all you need to do is pair them. So how do we do that?
How to connect PS4 controller to Chromebook
The good news in all this, is that connecting the PS4 controller to your Chromebook is really simple. The simplest, and quickest way, is by simply using a USB cable to plug your DualShock directly into the Chromebook. But if you want to use it via Bluetooth, here's what you need to do:
- Check whether your Chromebook has in-built Bluetooth, or whether you need to purchase a Bluetooth dongle to plug in.
- Next, make your way to the Settings app on your Chromebook, and select the Bluetooth setting.
- Your Chromebook will then begin looking for available devices.
- On your PS4 controller, hold the PS button and the Share button to begin pairing. The light on your controller should begin flashing to indicate it is pairing.
- When the devices connect, the controller will appear in the Bluetooth menu. Select it to confirm the connection.