Do you want to change your location on PS5 to NZ to make use of the Hogwarts Legacy New Zealand trick? We can help.
The question of whether the PlayStation Network allows you to change your account location is one that has been asked a lot. Indeed, it's been asked for previous generations, with players looking to change location on PS4, too.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s not possible. Although you can change your PSN username, you will not be able to change the region of your PlayStation account.
However, there is a workaround for changing your region that you can use. So, if you have recently moved to a different country or just want to access the games/apps that are not available in your region, we will help you out.
How To Change Location Or Region On PS5 Console
Changing your PSN account location is not as simple as just flipping a switch on the console. In order to change your country or region, you’ll have to create a new account.
It may sound like a bit of work, but it's your only option. It is worth mentioning that PS Store credit can't transfer from your existing account to your new account. Here is how to change the region on PS5:
- Turn on your PlayStation and select New User.
- Then click Create a User. Accept the User Agreement. When prompted to sign in to PSN - ignore the message.
- Now, select New to PlayStation Network? Create an Account.
- This is the crucial step - choose your new region. Make sure to choose the region you want to access.
- Next, select your preferred language, enter your date of birth, and press Next.
- Now, you need to enter your location details. Use Google to find the address of a place or building in your chosen region and use its zip code. The city and state/province will pop up automatically. Hit Next.
- Then, enter your email address and password and hit Next. Use an email ID that isn’t linked to an existing PSN Account.
- Select an avatar, create an online ID, and choose your privacy and connection settings.
- Once you are done, accept the Terms of Service and User Agreement.
- Finally, open the PlayStation Store and purchase the games or apps that you wish to access. You will need a VPN to purchase a game or app from a different storefront. Move to the next section if you need help with that.
A bit of a hassle but it does the job. Now, if you're in the European Union, you'll also have a storefront change option that we've described below. And we hope that other regions will also get that feature in the future.
Read More: PS5 Rebuild Database: How To Rebuild Your PS5 Database
How To Change Location or Region on PS5 PlayStation Store
If you want to get a game/app in a different region, you will need to do a few things.
- First, go to the PlayStation Store and click on the three dots icon.
- Now, see if you have a Storefront Country option. If yes, consider yourself lucky. The option is available for users in the European Union.
- Select Storefront Country and you will be presented with a menu to change your country as well as your language.
- Choose any country you like and hit Confirm.
- And voila! You will now have access to the PlayStation Store in that country.
You will be able to browse other storefronts but some content may be restricted. In that case, you can use one of the best VPN services to access the restricted content. Also, you will only be able to make purchases from your home country storefront.
So, if you don't have the Storefront Country option or want to purchase a game or app that isn't available in your home country storefront, move on to the next section. It will give you detailed information on how to do that.
Read More: How To Connect PS5 Controller To iPad
How To Buy Games From A Different PlayStation Store
You will not be able to buy games directly from a different PlayStation Store even if you change the country on your PSN account. This is because you need to have a PayPal or credit card that is registered in the country that you have chosen.
If you don’t have a form of payment that is registered to the country of your new PlayStation user, don't panic. A gift card from your chosen region’s Amazon store will do the trick. Here is what you need to do:
- First, buy a PlayStation PSN Card from Amazon.
- Immediately, you will be emailed a digital copy of your gift card and a 12-digit code.
- Now, log in to your new PSN account and open the PlayStation store.
- Click Redeem Codes and enter the 12-digit code from your email. The funds of your gift card will be added to your account. If you are unable to redeem your code, check out our guide to fix the problems with redeeming.
- You can now purchase the game or app that you want to buy.
Hope this helps!