Horizon Forbidden West has had a good launch, with positive reviews, great sales and a lot of praise. But it hasn't been without a few teething problems, one of which is the Horizon Forbidden West bricking error. Which is every bit as undesirable as it sounds. If you've been unlucky enough to run into this problem, you may be experiencing some big feelings at this moment. And it's ok to have those feelings. We understand.
But more than that, we also have a potential solution to your problem. Here's our guide to resolving the bricking issue, as well as a bit more of an explanation about what it is.
How To Fix The Horizon Forbidden West PS5 Bricking Issue
At the moment, there is no 'official' fix from either Sony or Guerilla Games about this specific problem. But the solution that seems to have been most effective for players is as follows:
- Start by unplugging your PS5. Remove every single cable.
- After a couple of minutes, plug it back in.
- Press and hold the power button for fifteen seconds.
- Allow the PS5 to reboot, and it should restore your PS5 to where it was prior to getting bricked.
But that isn't the end of the story. While you might be keen to jump straight back into Horizon and pick up where you left off, it's important to try and minimise the risk of this happening again. So the next step is to clear your console cache and rebuild your database.
Clearing the cache and rebuilding the database is not as complicated as it may appear. Happily, it won't delete any of your saved data. Here's what you need to do.
- Start by putting your console into Safe Mode. Start by turning off your PS5. Once this is off, press and hold the power button and wait until you hear two beeps. The first will be almost immediate, the second will be seven seconds later.
- Use a USB cable to connect your DualSense controller to your PS5, and press the PS button on the controller to turn it on.
- Once in the Safe Mode menu, select option 5 - Clear cache and Rebuild database.
- Of the two options available, select Rebuild Database.
- Once this process is complete, repeat the process to go back into Safe Mode. Go back into option 5, and this time, select Clear system software cache.
- Finally, as a precaution, it may be wise to uninstall and then reinstall Horizon Forbidden West.
If this doesn't resolve your issue, then try contacting Sony Support for further assistance. Hopefully, this will get you back into the game, and away from any future issues with bricking. But what more do we know about it?
What Is The Horizon Forbidden West Bricking Error?
Simply put: at this point, no one seems to be certain why this issue has arisen. A cursory glance at Twitter shows a number of players who have, however, been affected by this issue. But whether it is definitely down to a problem with Horizon, or simply an unfortunate coincidence, is unclear at this stage. Sony and Guerilla Games, as we mentioned, are yet to comment upon.
Follow the steps we've outlined above, and you will be able to return to the Forbidden West without experiencing any further bricking issues.